1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bossard, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Hello,

I started with an HP Pavilion laptop built in late 2015 that had Windows 10 installed and reformatted it and installed Windows 7 Premium. My problem is I'm missing some drivers for items such as USB controller, wireless controller, etc. The laptop was only sold with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 installed on it so HP does not have drivers available for this laptop with Windows 7 installed. The motherboard is branded HP so I don't have any way of knowing what drivers I need for that particular motherboard. I checked in system details but the hardware details don't really give me enough information about what drivers I need. The processor is an AMD A6-6310.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If this machine was built with Windows 10, then you may never find any Windows 7 drivers for some of the devices.
    Most of the OEM, are not provide drivers for Windows 7 on their Windows 10 hardware.

Lesson learned, check before removing a new OS and installing an older OS.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

(4 through 7 are really tied, and with Windows 7--and maybe 8/8.1-- the Windows Update should be at least 4th. The main message is that the first three are almost always to be preferred.)

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    For devices you have no other information about look in Device Manager for any Unknown Devices and right click on each one > Properties > Details tab > click on the down arrow and select Hardware Ids then right-click on the top line starting PCI\VEN ... and click on Copy.

Now you can Paste that line into a browser online search, which might find the device name for you or even find a driver if you're lucky, make sure it's a Windows 7 driver and works with the same bit version as your Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.

If that doesn't help paste them here in your reply and we can help you to look for them.

5. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input.

I was able to find drivers for all but the two items below. The string for each is what came up under hardware Ids.

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7814&SUBSYS_80B3103C&REV_11 (USB Controller)

ACPI\MSFT0101 (Unknown Device)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Bossard:

We can probably help you better if we know the exact description of your HP Pavilion laptop.
    What is the exact model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

Assuming that laptop has an Intel chipset and USB3 ports, you should install the chipset and USB3 drivers first before installing the other drivers.
    That allows the Windows operating system to properly detect and configure that laptop's devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Those 2 missing drivers will probably be included in the chipset drivers so answer Frank's questions please so we can help find them.

8. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

The computer is an HP Pavilion with:
    AMD A6-6310 APU Processor.
    Product No. L9S24AV
    Serial No. 5CD5392BPJ

As I stated in my first post this originally had Windows 10 installed.

9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you download the HP assistant I think you will get the drivers your computer may need and you can install them from there.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that product number and serial number, you have a HP Pavilion 17z-g000 CTO(Custom-To-Order) Notebook PC which was purchased in October 2015.

It has downloadable drivers only for Windows 8.1 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit, but that doesn't mean its devices don't support Windows 7 64-bit.

It appears to have these primary devices:
    AMD A6-6310 APU processor
    AMD Radeon R4 Series graphics
    Realtek (unknown model number) high definition audio
    Realtek (unknown model number) gigabit ethernet
    Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE - or - Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260/3160

I'm an Intel user and not an AMD user, so I can't advise you if a Windows 7 64-bit driver exists for its integrated graphic device.
    Windows 7 64-bit drivers do exist for its audio and ethernet and wireless devices.
    It's just a matter of searching for them - read post #3.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

At this point the only driver I need is for the USB controller. I will see if I can get one from HP.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm pretty sure your HP laptop needs to have an Intel chipset in order to install the USB3 extensible host controller driver.
    Your HP laptop appears to have an AMD chipset.

----------------------------------------------------------------

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Allan:
    Good find.

Bossard:
    That AMD USB 3.0 driver is in ZIP format, so its contents will need to be extracted into an empty folder, and then will need to be installed via the back door method in the Device Manager.

Capture.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------

15. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Thanks for the driver info. I will try to install it tomorrow and keep you posted on the results!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice