1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 dropping conenctions from XP systems with mapped network drives

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jwright8, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwright8

jwright8 Thread Starter

I have two Windows 7 Ultimate computers and around 10 Windows XP (Home and Professional, SP2 and SP3) computers trying to connect to it. It's just a LAN (no internet access).

I have set all of the password-protected sharing off on the Win 7 systems. I have tried opening up ALL of the permissions and such (since security is not really an issue).

The problem I'm having is this:

When I try to map the network drive, it won't let me merely connect to it. So, I have to click map network drive on the XP computer and hit "login with other credentials" and enter the username/pass for the user account on the Win 7 machine (we'll say Bob for user and Smith for password for the sake of example). It will mount the share (which is actually the C:\ root of the drive) just fine.

The only problem is the moment you restart the Windows XP system, it will lose the connection. My fix for it was to create a .bat file that contained the following:

Code:
    net use S: /delete

net use S: \\Server1Win7\server1win7 Smith /USER:\Bob /PERSISTENT:YES

net use T: /delete

net use T: \\Server2Win7\server2win7 Smith /USER:\Bob /PERSISTENT:YES

I put it in the Progam Files\Startup folder to run upon boot. For the most part, it seems to work after a fashion. Some of the computers, though, will drop the connection to the two Windows 7 systems and need to be rebooted 1-2 times before they get it back again. Even clicking the .bat file manually will have the same result (you will have to reboot) if it drops the connection while you're using it. Plus, sometimes it doesn't map the drive correctly (I assume because the batch file is running before the connection has a chance to initialize on the LAN).

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am completely at a loss here. Any solution that would allow me to map the network share for both of them and it remain persistent would be wonderful.

PS - I've also tried adding an "Everybody" user to the permissions on the Win 7 systems with full access, but it only seemed to cause problems with the existing connections.

It might also be prudent to mention that both the Windows 7 and Windows XP systems are all 32 bit. I've also disabled the firewalls on the two Windows 7 systems. Neither of them have any antivirus or security software installed.

2. Rockn

Rockn

I am surprised the batch file works at all with spaces in the path. Normally if there are spaces you need to enclose the path in quotation marks.

3. jwright8

jwright8 Thread Starter

There are no spaces in the path to the network share. The shares are named similar to the computer names, the locations being:

Server1Win7\server1win7
    Server2Win7\server2win7

"Smith" was just the example password I used for the sake of simplicity.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice