Windows 7 Dual Boot No Boot Options Menu on Cold Boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

loanshark53

I have a dual boot installation with Windows XP and Windows 7 on the same drive with two partitions. Both work just fine.

However most times that I boot from a cold boot, I get NO Boot options menu, just a blank screen and the hard drive light glows red, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything.

If I press the reset switch, everything works just fine, the computer reboots, I get a boot options menu for selecting the operating system and either one boots up just fine.

If I shutdown the machine for any period of time, I'll get the blank screen until I do a hard reset.

It seems like the boot loader is not finding the ini file with the options, but only on a cold boot? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

crjdriver

Cold boot problems that go away after a reboot are very often pw supply problems. To do some troubleshooting, download HWMonitor and install. Run HWMonitor for a while and post a screenshot of it here. This will monitor your voltages and show if any are dropping down ie bad pw supply.

HWMonitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online