Windows 7 excessive RAM usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jdjb78

My windows 7 64bit PC is using 45% of my 12gig of RAM. Any suggestions? I'm sure you'll need me to provide more information, I'll provide any information you need.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The purpose of having RAM is to use it instead of relying on much slower hard drive virtual memory.

As long as the computer is running okay, don't worry about much RAM or CPU usage there is.

----------------------------------------------------------

Win7 is supposed to consume lots of RAM - repeatedly queried data is cached in memory to improve performance. It's better than having the RAM sit there doing nothing ;)

Actually, that's what you want.

Windows uses whatever RAM it needs as well as any programs you are using. After that, what is left is used to anticipate what you might run next, cache, program stubs that you were using but remain in memory in case you start them again, and anything else it can possibly think of. After all, you have 12 Gigs of RAM.

The alternative is to clear the RAM so that programs take longer to start, have to constantly pull stuff from the hard drive, have to page programs to the hard drive, and no caches.

By the way, Windows will still use a swap file on the hard drive. Don't remove it. It allows Windows to move RAM around in 4K increments rather than 64K increments without the swap file.

I also have 12GB RAM. I a currently at 56% usage. Since my PC is running fine, and I know that Windows can instantly use the RAM it needs, I am not even slightly worried.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online