1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 7 Explorer file tree expansion stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by orbs, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orbs

orbs Thread Starter

Hello all,

I've been using the expandable tree structure in Windows 7 Explorer every day for several years, but I just noticed recently that that I can't expand a selected folder into subfolders anymore. Lots of threads on the Internet about this (and found a couple in this forum), the standard advice is to click on Organize --> Folder and Search Options and check both the "Show all folders" and "Automatically expand to current folder" checkboxes, as I've done already, unfortunately this doesn't work. This action is shown in the middle of my screenshot (attached). The left pane shows the "flat" view with nothing expanded (most of these folders have subfolders), vs. what my tree used to look like (see the expanded tree example from a tutorial website on the right side of the screenshot).

Might anyone have any suggestions as to what I may have overlooked to get the folder expansion back? I suspect that if I reformatted my solid state drive and reinstalled Win 7 from scratch, everything would be fine (I've done this a few times before in order to recover disk space that had shrunk over time due to various Windows background processes that had accumulated, not installed Windows apps or data).

Thanks!
    Oliver Barrett
    Sunnyvale CA

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8075 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -250 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 135 GB (18 GB Free); Q: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 4286CTO
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

Attached Files:

2. orbs

orbs Thread Starter

Found the fix: Click on Organize --> Layout --> enable Navigation pane checkbox to restore the expanded tree.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice