1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved windows 7 factory reset

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by paul67, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

Hi I began a factory reset on an old windows 7 laptop during the process the laptop lost power,I managed to start the reset again but it's been saying please wait for the last three days when I boot into safe mode everything seems to be set up.Is there anyway to stop or force stop the reset.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Paul, how did you initiate the "Factory Reset"..? Was this from a manufacturer's recovery partition that was installed at the time of purchase..?

T.

3. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

No did it from pressing the f8 key and so on

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

OK.... so at Boot you pressed F8 and that took you into Safe Mode.

Q1. What did you do when you got into Safe Mode..?

Q2. Does your computer have a manufacturers Recovery partition..?

T.

5. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

Not safe mode did the repair option and reset to factory default,was in the middle of it and lost power managed to get set up going again but it's not completing just stuck on the white screen for two days.Where would I find out if the lappy has a recovery partition not too worried about losing any data already have most the stuff that was on there on externals and other laptop's.Would just like to get out the reset process if I can.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using the Recovery Partition (which may be hidden) or a set of Recovery DVDs or a Recovery USB flash drive?

7. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

Pressed f8 and scrolled down to directory services restore mode and did a clean wipe

8. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

I have no dvds or toshiba cds

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    It must be using a restore partition then.

If you restart the laptop does it go straight back into the factory restore, even if you don't press F8 etc ?

10. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

Yes and doesn't seem to get to the end also the screen goes idle after 10 minutes

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    How are you getting into Safe Mode ? If with F8 is the factory restore still an option on the menu ?

12. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

Safe mode with f8 key i can stop the default set up process by pressing windows key during the reset but as soon as i shut down and restart i type in my password and it goes straight back into the reset

13. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

As far as i can see when i manage to stop the factory default reset and get into the laptop it's all reset back to the basics,the only thing i want to do is stop the process from restarting every time i turn the laptop on ? if were gonna go round and round the same questions being asked repeatedly to be honest i will just bung the thing away.

14. Tabvla

Tabvla

Agree...(y)

Format the drive and start again with a nice clean installation. In your words you call it - ".... an old Laptop ...." - might be a good opportunity to try a dual-boot, such as, Linux and Windows.

Personally, I love "old" computers, they are by far the best teachers of technology...:D

T.

15. paul67

paul67 Thread Starter

OOOOk so how do i format the drive what do i need to get that done me personally i prefer the instructions on the back of a cornflakes box ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice