1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Firewall does not start Automatically

Discussion in 'General Security' started by lunarlander, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lunarlander

lunarlander Thread Starter

Hi ,

I wonder if anyone has experienced Windows 7's firewall not starting Automatically. I have completed the checklist found here:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t61.html

and everything checks out normally. Just that when I boot Windows 7, the firewall service does not start. Also, the Action Center does not warn me that it didn't start..

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. lunarlander

I dont think it is malware related. This is a fresh install on this machine. I also have a virtual machine with Win 7 and it has not connected to the internet except for a brief moment when I activated it. And the virtual machine is doing the same thing.

A few months back when I played around with Win 7 RC, I experienced the same thing.

Because Action Center doesn't report it, I think it is happening to other people as well, just that they don't know it.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I have never seen the issue myself, installed plenty of W7 starting with RC.

Thats not good,

I am one of the few that actually check services occasionally.

Yeah, I think there are more W7 bugs than Microsoft cares to admit.

5. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Does it run ok if you start it manually?

Peace...

6. lunarlander

Yes, I can go to the Services panel and start it, and it does start. But sometimes I'd forget to check if did start when I boot up the machine.

7. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware software installed? If so, what do you have?

Peace...

8. lunarlander

I use MS Security Essentials as my antivirus, but I don't have an antispyware app. I don't surf with that machine, it just runs [email protected], crunching workunits. The machine was freshly installed last weekend, and I turned it off after fetching all the Windows Updates and antivirus updates. I turned it back on yesterday and remembered about the firewall problem with RC, so I checked Services. A lo-and-behold, the firewall did not start. I then checked my VM Win 7, and its the same thing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice