1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 -- Freezes and becomes non-responsive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DanInKansas, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanInKansas

DanInKansas Thread Starter

Disclaimer: I fix washers and dryers for a living, so I'm likely to not know many of the basics.

Here's what I know:

1) I have an HP 2800 running Windows 7 home edition.

2) The unit has a developed a habit of freezing requiring a hard reboot to restart.

3) The problem has gotten worse over time, sometimes with as much as 8 hours between freeze-ups and sometimes less than two minutes.

4) The computer WILL freeze if I go onto YouTube.com and play a video. This is 100% reliable. This will happen in SafeMode as well as regular mode.

5) The computer MAY freeze if I'm on FaceBook or dragging the mouse down screen. It will EVENTUALLY freeze if I'm playing music. Webmusic is also 100% reliable at bringing on a freeze, though it may take minutes rather than seconds.

6) The computer also freeze in SafeMode, when connected to the internet. This is hit or miss.

Running Windows Event Viewer, these messages are consistently logged before the times when the computer has frozen up:

A) "The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event."

B) "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}"

C) "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}"

D) "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}"

Other messages that are logged after the restart:

I) Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

II) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    discache
    spldr

What else should I be looking for? What should I do next?

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. DanInKansas

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 233045 MB, Free - 167012 MB; D: Total - 108770 MB, Free - 40895 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7N8X-LA
    Antivirus: None

4. DanInKansas

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 233045 MB, Free - 167012 MB; D: Total - 108770 MB, Free - 40895 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7N8X-LA
    Antivirus: None

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    How long has it been since you had an Anti-Virus program installed?

6. bradley27

bradley27

I was going to start a seperate topic on a similar case....My fairly new PC will also HARD FREEZE when using Flight Sim X and also just recently Railworks Train Sim 2013.

Flight Sim X tends to hard freeze from time to time...enough to make me feel like i have to be really gentle with it...i have tried turning off AI traffic which ive read could be a cause and still these freezes would occur. It is also impossible to record what causes these crashes because i have to hard reboot!!!

Train Sim 2013 is freezing on startup everytime!!

Anyone else got any ideas why these is so common? I would try maybe lowering the overclocking but i dont know who to do that fullstop....

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Brad,

Please start your own thread as it is impossible to work with two different computers with similar; but not EXACT problems in one thread.

8. DanInKansas

The problem developed when I had F-Secure running. F-Secure malware scans didn't reveal any problems. I currently don't have an F-Secure subscription but that hasn't seemed to alter the behavior much one way or anohter.

9. DanInKansas

Bumping. Looking through Windows Event Viewer, there are also "kernel" notations, that either say a power connection has not been made due to a firmware issue or that there are corrupted files due to a firmware failure.

So what's firmware?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice