1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 freezing at startup after having freezing at confi

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by villarosac, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. villarosac

villarosac Thread Starter

So I was uninstalling some bloatware from my computer, and decided to also do a disc cleanup. After I ran said cleanup, I restarted my computer so that all the uninstalled products would run there course, and the cleanup would take full effect.

Doing this, I ended up having multiple freezes at the "Configuring Windows Updates" I had to keep turning off the computer, and trying all sorts of stuff. In safe mode, it kept trying to configure there as well, and it eventually went through to the "Cleaning up do not turn off menu" it hung, so I restarted into safe mode again, and I finally booted to safe mode.

Thinking everything was probably good, I tried restarting again normally, and now am continuing to get a frozen computer at the "Windows is starting" logo. I have tried system restore and start up repair and keep getting a variety of errors.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on soon copy and pasting all my files to another computer and then moving them all back if I have to do a fresh install of Windows 7. Would like to avoid that however.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    You could try a repair install if you have the Windows CD.

Or possibly a system restore.

3. villarosac

System restore kept saying there was an error in retrieving a file. I am trying a SFC scan right now in safe mode to see if that finds anything.

Also I got my Toshiba from Staples so I do not have a windows disc, but repair discs instead.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok those are probably the factory recovery CD's. Can you tell me EXACTLY what is written on them?

5. villarosac

Toshiba S5390 Recovery

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok as I thought. That's the factory recovery restore CDs.

I would , reluctantly, get your files off and proceed with a full factory reset.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice