1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 freezing, explorer.exe freezing when login account after

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Transducer, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Transducer

Transducer Thread Starter

I have 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Compaq CQ5210f. More system details at the bottom. This problem happened twice in mid April, and now twice again in early May, both within days of each other.

The only thing that remains consistent is that I'm playing a 3D game with audio on, the winamp program. Completely different games each and every time, though, some far more gentle on the video card than others. The screen would freeze up and so would the audio, and my keyboard/mouse don't respond at all. I resort to doing a hard reset with the computer power button.

Each time, when I log in again, explorer.exe is frozen. the taskbar appears, but nothing on the desktop, and after a couple seconds it all freezes up, with the busy mouse symbol when I highlight taskbar. I can still move mouse around though.

I can do ctrl+alt+delete at this point at least. Restarting explorer.exe doesn't work, so I try logging out in that menu, which does work, although slowly.

I've tried scanning for virus and also a system restore to earlier point, no difference.

The only solution so far has been to simply log in safe mode - which DOES work by the way - and create a new account from scratch.

Last time I cut/paste almost everything between old account and new, this time I will only do basics like save games and documents/music/video.

Can anyone please explain or help me understand why this is happening? I'd hate to have to keep restarting a new account, its extremely frustrating to set it up how I like all over again. I would think that getting around a simple explorer.exe freezing problem is doable, especially in this circumstance.

I highly doubt the graphic card itself is to blame, despite being in a 3D program each time, unless it's something about the settings itself. Some tech geeks said it ought to work with my setup, and I'd think I'd have far more consistent problems with it over-heating or such too.

It may very well be winamp, though I swear I DIDN'T have it on at least once when this occured. I've gotten rid of it and switched back to iTunes again. Hopefully that's all there is to it, but I doubt it.

Here's the system info:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2, 2.7ghz, 65w
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb, DDR2, SDRAM
    Power Supply: 250w
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4650, 1024 Mb, DDR3
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 465671 MB, Free - 102876 MB; D: Total - 11165 MB, Free - 2072 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, NARRA5, 5.00, MB-1234567890 ( M2N68-LA Narra5-GL6 ? )
    Power Supply: 250w
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Thank you, I look forward to responses and ideas.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice