1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 7 freezing/locking up for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RangerNeil, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RangerNeil

RangerNeil Thread Starter

Having to post this from a tablet as the PC is currently unusable due to this issue
    Basically what happens is the PC boots and all seems normal till you enter the user password. Then it takes longer to load the desktop than it used to and, although the mouse responds, clicking on a program to run has no visible result. Watching in task manager you see it start then it drops out.
    After a few minutes the PC becomes unresponsive then shortly after this the mouse freezes. At this point the only solution is to reboot.
    Nothing in the event logs look odd - the only anomaly I've found is that Resource Manager is listing 100 hard faults in the memory section so as I write this I have Memtest86 running on the machine from an Ubuntu install CD.

Can anyone suggest a likely cause for this as its causing me a lot of aggro.

PC Specs
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3014 MHz
    Memory: 8191 Mb SDRAM - all slots full
    Video: Nvidia
    Motherboard: Asus

Disk #1: Western Digital 1 Tb - C:\
    Disk #2: Western Digital 1 Tb - D:\
    Disk #3: Western Digital 1 Tb - E:\

1.44Mb Floppy - A:\
    CD-ROM: - G:\
    DVD R/W: - F:\

I tried to install Ubuntu to be able to access the files I need - that got to the final step of seeking the hard drives and then that froze up. Rebooting and trying again got these error message - no idea if they are related:
    17179569.632000 - MP- BIOS bug: 8254. Timer not connected to IO-APIC

17179569.988000 - cannot allocate resource region 3 of 0000:00:00.0

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Can I assume from this you're trying to access the files so you can back them up before wiping Win 7? If so, have you tried running it as a Linux Live environment instead of doing an installation? For jobs like this, I'll often use a simple Linux distro, such as Puppy Linux, and load it from a flash drive (no installation). Once the OS is running, I'll use the built-in file manager to peruse the discs and then copy over the required files to a backup drive.

3. RangerNeil

No - I am trying to get Win-7 up and running again. All the data is currently accessible by Windows based programs. Things like Dreamweaver, Outlook etc

The Ubuntu is because I've been considering going to a dual boot system for a while now to investigate a 100% move. So I thought I'd try to install it and see if it ran OK thus ruling out hardware. It didn't install so I guess somewhere I have a hardware fault.

Right now, in view of the 100 hard faults shown in Windows Resource Manager, Memcheck has been running for 15 hours and showing no sign of finishing.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The memory test needs to be run overnight or for at least 8 passes.
    It is best to run a full scan on individual Ram sticks if you can.
    Or run the test but if any errors are shown - then remove all sticks of Ram and test each Ram stick one at a time and test them in different slots.
    ======
    Check and post
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you mean harddrive faults?
    If so, don't waste time. Get your files off while the drive is still accessible and then replace the hard drive. The faults will just keep increasing. There is no safe repair for a failing hard drive.

6. RangerNeil

No - this was in the memory section of Resource Manager.

7. RangerNeil

So - system has completed 8 passes in Memtest with no errors. This is with all 4 of the 2Gb modules in place.
    Going to re-run on the individual modules but I "think" memory is OK. PSU seems OK as does CPU and temperatures as the system has been running more or less continuously for 90 hours. I would have expected a problem in any of these to have caused a shut down?
    I notice that on logon it takes nigh on twice as long for the desktop to appear and once it loads the desktop shows a load of grey squares where icons should be and these refresh slowly - 1 or 2 at a time.
    The other point of note is every so often after logging on all you get is a black screen with the mouse icon. Mouse icon responds to the mouse but clicking where icon should be - I.e. Start - does nothing. Only recourse is to hit the reboot button.

I managed to run the SysInfo tool in safe mode - results are:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8190 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 698 GB (178 GB Free); D: 465 GB (218 GB Free); E: 465 GB (182 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA770-UD3
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Enabled and Updated

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  8. blues_harp28

Let us have the make and model number of your pc.
    Will it not start up and continue to run in normal mode?

9. RangerNeil

Unfortunately - there is no make or model as I built it myself about 5 years or so ago.

No - that's the whole problem!! In normal mode within a couple of minutes of logging on the system freezes to the point the only solution is the hard reset or power off.

10. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Do you have a backup of the files on the profile in question? If so, I'd recommend deleting the profile, rebooting, and then re-creating it. Do you have access to the built-in Administrator account?

11. RangerNeil

So - back on-line at last. Ubuntu 18.04.1 is now installed on a spare maxtor 160 Gb disk and working well as a back up O/S to Win-7.
    I ran memory checks on the 8 Gb in total and on each of the 2 Gb modules in each of the 4 slots as suggested. All passed. next step was to get into msconfig.exe and clear out the start processes and taks complely. This has now got Win-7 running as it should so obvioulsy the issue lies within either the start-up processes or taks.
    Next step is to start adding them back a block at a time to find the one causing the issue!

12. blues_harp28

The above report may be incorrect as Malwarebytes, is not an anti-virus program.
    What anti-virus program do you have installed?

Download Security Check by screen317 from.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/
    Save it to your Desktop.
    Right click the install icon and select "Run as Administrator"
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad.
    Copy and Paste the result of the scan in the reply box below.

The saved log will be called checkup.txt.

13. RangerNeil

The installed program is AVG Internet Security, version 18.6.3066, definition file 180907-6. I disabled malwarebytes from within msconfig.exe.

The Security Check application has been sat on "Performing system health check for the best part of an hour - as/when/if it ever finishes (probably seconds after I hit the "post reply" button) I will post the results up.

14. RangerNeil

Told you it would end almost as soon as I hit "post reply"!!

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.014 --- 12/23/15
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
    Internet Explorer 11
    ``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
    Windows Firewall Enabled!
    Malwarebytes
    AVG Antivirus
    Antivirus up to date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
    `````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
    AVG PC TuneUp 2015
    AVG PC TuneUp 2015 (en-US)
    AVG PC Tuneup
    AVG PC TuneUp 2015
    Sun Java Studio Creator 2 Update 1
    Java 8 Update 181
    Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 10
    Java version 32-bit out of Date!
    Adobe Flash Player 30.0.0.154
    Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date!
    Google Chrome (68.0.3440.106)
    Google Chrome (SetupMetrics...)
    ````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
    AVG Antivirus AVGSvc.exe
    AVG Antivirus afwServ.exe
    AVG Antivirus x64 aswidsagenta.exe
    AVG Antivirus AVGUI.exe
    `````````````````System Health check`````````````````
    Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 3%
    ````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

15. blues_harp28

Update Java and Adobe Reader.
    AVG PC Tuneup
    Do not use any tuneup/optimizing program/application as they can cause more problems than they solve.
    ======
    Give us an update as to how the pc is running.
    ======
    Run System File Checker.
    Click on Start - Search - Type cmd
    Right click on cmd.exe - select Run as Administrator.
    At the Command Prompt window - Type
    sfc /scannow
    Press Enter.

Let it run to completion - but do not close the cmd window.
    To save the log file.
    Copy and Paste the following in Command Prompt.
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    Press Enter

On your desktop you will see a text file called sfcdetails.txt
    It can take 2-3 runs of system file checker for all files to be replaced/repaired.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice