1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 fresh install, twice in a row, myriad installer and update problemspersist.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jporter313, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jporter313

jporter313 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm completely stumped. I have an HP tm2t-1000 tablet pc running Windows 7 professional x64. A couple of weeks ago, the hard drive died on me. It was a 500GB 7200rpm SATA drive, but I thought I'd splurge and order a 750GB to replace it. I received the drive, dropped it in and reinstalled Windows from the HP supplied recovery CD. Everything seemed fine until I had some problems installing a piece of software, then I had problems installing another piece of software, then another. I figured it was just a bad install so I wiped the drive and installed windows again. unfortunately, this had no effect, and the same problems persisted.

Seems like the deeper I dig, the more problems I find. The main installer I've been having a problem with is mixed in key 5. the installer quits halfway through every time, no error or anything, just disappears. through the support forums, I determined that this is an issue with Microsoft dot net framework, and it was recommended that I install it through Microsoft's standalone installer. However, when I try to do this, the installer gets to the point where it finishes verifying the installer package and then just sits there and doesn't install. I figured maybe it would work better if I updated windows, so I went to the windows update section of the control panels, and the window hangs whenever I open it. Eventually I am able to get it to load the window (I still don't know how), but when I click "Check for updates" it brings up an error saying the windows update service is not running, but I checked into it, and it is. I look this up online and there are a lot of references to it having something to do with windows needing a specific update to use large disks correctly, and they point to a download package from microsoft (the installer is called "Windows6.1-KB982018-v3-x64". But whenever I try to run this, I get an error "Installer encountered an error 0xc8000247"

I'm stumped, every solution leads to another problem, does anyone have any idea what's going on here and how I can solve it?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Were there any error during the installation?

Is it activated?

Was the old drive SATA 1?

3. jporter313

In order:

Installer errors:

Mixed in Key 5: no error, installer just disappears halfway through and doesn't finish installing.
    Dot Net framework 4: installer gets to the point where it finishes "verifying package" then sits with an empty install progress bar and does nothing.
    Check for updates: only available after update window has hanged for a really long time, then when Check for updates is clicked, it throws the error "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer" (I have checked and the service is running)
    Manual windows reliability update: downloaded from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12248 throws the error "Installer enountered an error: 0xc8000247"

Yes, windows is activated.

It appears the old drive was SATA 3.0GBps as seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374 as is the new one, as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MME0N0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01

Does that help?

4. stevecook

stevecook

Found this on another forum:

"Well doing some searches on the errors in the windowsupdate.log eventually led me to find that it the problem had something to do with my hard drive being large (1TB) and "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)" drivers needed to be updated. Once I got the driver updated my windows update started working fine. Thanks for the help that led me to the answer."

Maybe this will help you:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm

5. jporter313

Yep I found that one, the intel link I think is only for Intel chipsets, right? Not sure what kind of chipset my HP has. That was also the thread that led me to that windows reliability update, which, in typical catch 22 fashion, wouldn't install because of the problem I was trying to install it to fix.

6. jporter313

Thanks for the help so far guys, any other ideas?

7. stevecook

stevecook

Your computer has an Intel chipset.

8. jporter313

Yeah, I guess I could have looked that up, thanks for doing the legwork for me :) I'll try that fix tonight. Crossing my fingers that it solves the issue.

Thanks again for the help so far.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice