1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Headset microphone not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kaapo, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaapo

Kaapo Thread Starter

I've been googling and searching youtube for three hours now, without finding a valid solution. My new headset microphone simply won't work on Windows 7. I have:

- Switched it on
    - Made absolutely sure it's plugged in correctly
    - Downloaded and installed the latest Realtek HD audio codec driver
    - Unmuted the microphone (as it's muted by default)
    - Tried increasing the sound level in various places to no avail
    - Tried increasing the efficiency boost to the max to no avail
    - Set the microphone as my primary recording device
    - Restarted my PC a few times
    - Went to the toilet
    - Enabled listening of the microphone
    - Done a virus check
    - Unplugged and replugged my headset a number of times
    - Got my laptop's integral microphone as well as the headphones of my headset, but since only one of these can apparently work at a time that's no solution
    - Messed around with everything in the Realtek HD Audio management
    - Despaired

All right, I will admit there's one thing I haven't accessed yet, and that's the speech recognition. This is because I can't access it, since it's disabled for my OS language which is Finnish (I didn't and wouldn't have chosen that myself, it was pre-installed). But I only noticed something related to the speech recognition listed in two or three of the solutions I went through, and besides I just don't want to believe Windows 7 could be dumb enough to not let something as basic as a microphone work in all it's language versions.

Plus, as I said, I already got my laptop's internal microphone working though I didn't intend to, so logic has it this one should somehow be able to work as well. I'm just out of ideas.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Test the mic on another PC to verify that it works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice