1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 - Home group and home network.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dabeartn, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dabeartn

dabeartn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Doug
    Help,
    I had to reformat my computer and am using windows 7 pro 64 bit. After getting Windows 7 back onto my computer, I was trying to use my home network to pass file between my desktop and to the a laptop. It wouldn't let me do either. I then looked at network sharing and it showed that neither my home network or home group was there. So I tried to set up another home group, and it gave me the following error:

"Must have IPv6 to create or join a home group".

When I go and try to start my IPv6 through the trouble shooter, it shows being started, but it still will not let me either join or create a home group.

Any ideas????? I hope this explanation is clear enough.

Dabeartn

2. HCD

HCD

Sorry - I can't read orange on my screen!...Keep it black and white...posts need to be seen ... not heard! Try to see "reformatted" computer from other computer...

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Very hard to read.

Are all your computers Windows 7? If not, you can't use a HomeGroup for the network.

4. dabeartn

dabeartn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Doug
    Lets try this:

Help,
    I had to reformat my computer and am using windows 7 pro 64 bit. After getting Windows 7 back onto my computer, I was trying to use my home network to pass file between my desktop and to the a laptop. It wouldn't let me do either. I then looked at network sharing and it showed that neither my home network or home group was there. So I tried to set up another home group, and it gave me the following error:

When I go and try to start my IPv6 through the trouble shooter, it shows being started, but it still will not let me either join or create a home group.

Also now the ISATAP and Teredo Tunneling Adapter are showing can not start, Code 10. I have uninstalled these two and reinstalled these two, but it doesn't help. Also the laptop has the same problems with it now, also.

Dabeartn

5. dabeartn

dabeartn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Doug

Help,

I then went to the Network connection, right clicked on it, clicked properties and it showed IPv6 being checked. So I unchecked it, then rebooted and rechecked and ran join the home group again, but it still showed the IPv6 error.

Also now the ISATAP and Teredo Tunneling Adapter are showing can not start, Code 10. I have uninstalled these two and reinstalled these two, but it doesn't help. Also the laptop has the same problems with it now, also.

Dabeartn

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please do not start multiple theads on the same topic. I tried to merge your threads here and messed it up by losing a post or two. Sorry.

7. dabeartn

dabeartn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Doug
    Terry,
    I wasn't trying to merge anything. Just trying to clarify my problem. Sorry if I did something bad.

dabeartn

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are all of your computers in the same workgroup? Win7 will default to "workgroup" as the name so you might need to change it to whatever you call your home network.

Have you tried to ping other computers from a cmd prompt?

I am assuming you do have internet access from the reformatted computer ie lan/nic drivers are installed.

9. dabeartn

dabeartn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Doug
    I hadn't thought of the work group setting, but will try it later. I have partial networking to 2 of my other computers, but not one laptop. I suspect that having it in the same work group will help.
    I tried to create a home group last night, and now I get the error:

"Windows can not setup a home group on this computer"

Any thoughts on this problem????

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First post a screenshot of device manager. Very often after clean installs, you have some yellow marks.

Next FWIW I never use home group. I setup my network and what I want to share manually. I have 5 systems networked at home; 1 win7 64bit, 2 win7 32bit, 1 Win2k, and 1 netbook with win7 32bit. Once you make sure all of the systems are in the same workgroup, select what folders, drives, whatever you want to share. Next setup permissions as to full control, read only, whatever you want. Done.

Could you please type in a standard font? It would make your posts easier to read.

11. dabeartn

dabeartn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Doug
    I checked the Device manager, and there were no yellow lines on any of the drivers. I did have problems with the ISATAP, Teredo Tunneling Adapter until I went to this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tive-but/0a1a90e5-cba9-41af-a781-c4cf41244597.This fixed that problem.
    I am uploading a screen shot of my Device Manager. As things are now, I have a partial network between 2 or the 4 computers, my desktop and the one upstairs. I can move files to that one, but not back to my desktop. I will check the other two later his afternoon.

Attached Files:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice