1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Home Premium not shutting down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mattig89ch, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattig89ch

mattig89ch Thread Starter

Hidy ho all,

I've got a rather interesting problem. Well, I'm not quite sure its a problem at this stage. But it is odd.

Every time I hit the shut down button on the start menu, or press the power button, windows gets to the screen where it starts to shut down then locks up.

This is a brand new install, on a hard drive I've had for a little while, but have used in other machines with no problems.

I've never seen this happen consistently before. Once or twice every now and again, but never every time I shut down the machine. Has anyone else seen this? If so, do you know how to fix it?

2. Lance1

Lance1

You could start simple and try a Clean Startup It may be program causing this issue.

3. mattig89ch

Ok, just tried that. and nope, still locked up during the shutdown portion of the restarts.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Have you checked the drive for errors? Click once on C drive and then Right click the C drive \ Properties \ Tools and click Check Now. Let us know if there are errors on the drive.

5. mattig89ch

Disk check passed muster. That tells me that it has to be a key windows process that's hanging every time I shut down the machine. But the only thing I see in the event viewer is a warning for a usb device. Sadly its not specific as to which device its not loading. At least not that I can see.

I could post the info from the details tab if anyone thinks they could make heads or tails of it. Anything special I should include or ommit?

6. Lance1

Lance1

Lets check the system files for problems. Go to the CMD "Command Prompt" Right click it and select Run as Admin. Type
    sfc /scannow Let it do its thing. When complete, Copy and Past this command in the CMD

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

It'll create this file on the desktop. sfcdetails.txt. Please upload that file.

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In addition to the above.
    Download SINO by Artellos.

• Save SINO to your desktop and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
    • Then please check the following checkboxes:
      Code:
      Task List
      Startup Items
      Event Log

• Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.
    • A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply.
    Note: If you try to interact with the program once itÂ’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.

8. mattig89ch

srry for the lack of updates these last 4 days. The SFC scan said there was no problems.

What does that sino program do?

9. blues_harp28

It will show the following.
    Task List
    Startup Items
    Event Log.

10. mattig89ch

ok then, you want to see what is and isn't starting then?

11. blues_harp28

A shutdown problem can be related to running processes - applications, what is running at start up, etc.
    Some process, application, may be stalling at shutdown and causing your problem.

12. mattig89ch

I hate to say it, but that's right where I'm at. Something in the background has to be hanging during the shutdown process. But there's nothing in the logs that I can see, no errors or warnings.

13. blues_harp28

We may be able to help - however, that is up to you.

14. mattig89ch

ok then, I'll install and run that program asap. But it won't be today, maybe tomorrow. Playing it by ear

15. blues_harp28

Ok - post when you are ready.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice