1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Home Premium will not boot - possible damage from virus

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba laptop here that had a virus. I removed its hard disk, connected it to another computer as a secondary drive and used Microsoft Security Essentials to scan for and remove infections. It deleted about a half dozen files in the Program Data folder and reported also deleting another virus located at \boot\ (and the rest of that path and virus name, I don't remember). I do remember it identified all infections as Trojans.

When I finished, I put the drive back into the laptop and all I get now is a blinking cursor. I attempted repair from the Windows 7 installation disk; but, it doesn't offer me any "which installation of Windows do you want to repair" message. I have read if that message doesn't appear, Windows can't fix it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Hughv

Hughv

Why did you remove the drive to scan it?
    The easiest solution might be to save your files and reinstall Windows.

3. Alex Ethridge

The usual reason, any program or function that might be used to remove the virus was disabled. Even TaskManager was disabled.

4. Hughv

Hughv

There's a way around that but it's too late for you.

5. Alex Ethridge

Yes, I know the way around that; but, that way is usually very involved and time-consuming. This is only the second time in about a year that my method failed me so considering the time and mental straining saved on dozens of other systems where it did work, I figure I'm still ahead of the game.

6. Alex Ethridge

Right now, what I'm looking for is a way to restore its ability to boot. If I can't, I have another solution that has worked in this situation before: Do an image of the Windows partition (drive C), do a system recovery, then do a restore from the image.

That worked the last time this happened; but, the image of this will probably be in the range of 80 Gigs so I am looking for a quicker way.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice