1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 - How does one remove an "applet" in control panel

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pcvchriskmg, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcvchriskmg

pcvchriskmg Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

I recently installed some accounting software, and then un-installed that same software. When the software was initially installed, it also installed "Firebird 2.1 Server Manager." When I un-installed the software, I also un-installed "Firebird 2.1 Server Manager." I used Revo Uninstaller. Un-installation went fine. However, I noticed today that there is a "Firebird 2.1 Server Manager" in my Control Panel. When I click on it, it brings up the windows box that asks "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" If I click "no" then nothing happens. If I click "yes" then nothing happens.

How do I removed this icon from my control panel? I have already un-installed the program from my computer and do not want its remnants cluttering up my control panel.

As an aside, how can I prevent software from installing things in the control panel in the first place? I imagine this is rare as I haven't experienced this before, but now I know to look out for it in the future.

Best,
    Chris

2. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

As far as I know, there isn't a way to prevent software adding control panel items.
    You may view this article for information about removing control panel items: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cpicon.htm

While Windows XP is advertised, I believe it should still work for Windows 7

3. pcvchriskmg

Yes, this works, however, the monkey wrench is that it leads me to a .dll file (SHELL32.dll) instead of a .cpl file. I don't know much about .dll files, but I know enough not to just delete them without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Is there a way I can determine which programs need to reference/use shell32.dll?

4. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Shell32.dll is a main resource file for Windows.
    In any case, like you mentioned, it would not be wise to delete that! :p

Could I perhaps grab a screenshot of what is leading you to shell32.dll?

5. pcvchriskmg

Here's a pic of what's leading me to shell32.dll

I read the link above, and followed the directions. The "icon" points to shell32.dll found in the system32 folder.

After my reply post, I "googled" the .dll file and knew that it couldn't go anywhere. I'm thinking that I might take a look at those registry references the link above refers to, but I'm usually pretty hesitant in there, as I'm no expert.

Attached Files:

6. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Okay
    Are you familiar with exporting registry information?

If you're not comfortable with digging around in the registyr yourself, you could export both of the following to .REG files:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Control Panel \ Cpls
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \  SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Control Panel \ Cpls

And attach them to this post for me to look at.

7. pcvchriskmg

Here's the registry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Control Panel \ Cpls
    Website wouldn't let me upload a .reg file for I had to zip it first.

This might sound crazy (or maybe it won't), but there is no "Control Panel" under "CurrentVersion" for HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Not really sure what to make of that.

Attached Files:

8. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

No, that is perfectly normal.
    Okay I will look at this export now.

Edit: Alright could you do the same for:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ ControlPanel \ NameSpace
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ ControlPanel \ NameSpace

The HKEY_CURRENT_USER may not exist again.

9. pcvchriskmg

Yeah, you were right, nothing for the local user, well no "namespace" at least. There is a "controlpanel" in there with just a few entries. I included that since maybe it can help somehow.

The local machine "namespace" looks long and messy. I hope there is some kind of order to all of it.

Attached Files:

10. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

I can't seem to find anything relating to "Firebird 2.1 Server Manager"
    If you press CTRL+F while in the registry and search for Firebird, does it turn up anything?

11. pcvchriskmg

nice call, there is an entry for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Firebird2Control.cpl

'type' is "REG_DWORD" and 'data' is 0x00000010' (16)

It is located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

Would do you think, should I delete the entry?

12. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Just looks like a compatibility entry for that Firebird software - nothing related to the control panel per se. Deleting the entry probably wont effect anything.

If you keep pressing F3, does it turn up any others?

Although, we have found the name of a .cpl, so maybe a registry search for "Firebird2Control.cpl" could turn up something...

13. pcvchriskmg

there is also firebird2control.cpl in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    "type" is 'reg_sz' and "data" is 'runasadmin'

nothing else however

14. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Okay, I have this registry script for you that may work.
    I have attached it to this post.

Double click it to import the data into your registry.

Attached Files:

15. pcvchriskmg

Sorry for this. When I try to open the file, I get the message "The filename, directory name or volume syntax is incorrect." It looks like it is trying to open within notepad.exe

When I do import from regedit.exe, I get: "Cannot import (filename). Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." I'll keep at it, though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice