1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 install can't detect any hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Swimmingcactus, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swimmingcactus

Swimmingcactus Thread Starter

Ok here's the deal -

I have had xp for a long time on a custom computer. Recently I contracted a virus (namely the xp antivirus 2012 system virus). I decided to reformat the hard drive, as I do not have the original xp discs, I bought windows 7 (the full version, not upgrade). While trying to install windows 7 and subsequently reformat the hard drive, the installation program can not detect any hard disk whatsoever.

Another problem is that the virus has corrupted my computer to the point where I cannot even load xp. All my computer is currently good for is watching it try to load.

2. Rockn

Rockn

I really doubt that a virus would keep you from installing XP or Windows 7. Have you tried selecting the CD drive as the primary boot device during boot up? Make and model of the computer in question might also be helpful.

3. Swimmingcactus

I don't have a problem booting from the disk. I can start the installation process but once the installer asks for a hard disk to write windows 7 onto, it cannot detect any hard drives in my computer. It is as if my c: suddenly disappeared. Also, since I cannot boot I don't know how to access system specs except for the menu accessed by pressing del on start up. Here is all the info I can provide:

BIOS info:
    Version: 1306
    Build date: 08/20/08

PROCESSOR:
    Type: intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Speed: 3000MHz
    Count: 2

System Memory:
    Usable Size: 4096 MB

Also, the BIOS setup menu DOES detect my hard disk, I can see it in SATA 1. However the problem is that it is not detecteted during attempted windows 7 installation

4. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    I suggest opening up the computer, disconnect and re-connect the hard disk (power and SATA cables) and retry installing Windows 7.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Also look at the hard drive mode in the BIOS setup. This is usually RAID, AHCI or IDE. You want AHCI or IDE.

6. Swimmingcactus

ok I changed it from IDE (which did not work) to AHCI. Now the setup detects my hard disk (500 gig) which is in two partitions. I tried formatting them which was unsuccessful (error 0x80070057) and deleting them which was also unsuccessful (error 0x8007045d). Then I tried to use the start up repair tool which failed, citing the following:

MBR is corrupt
    Repair action: Disk metadata repair
    Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x45d

7. Hughv

Hughv

8. BottleSheep

BottleSheep

Your hard drive might be corrupted or damaged. If that is so, run a file-recovery software. It would retrieve important files on your hard drive. Then buy a new one for a replacement.

Or try updating motherboard drivers, if you are using USB Externals. If it's an internal hard drive, try Hughv's link=)

9. Swimmingcactus

Yeah, I tried Hughv's link. Didnt work... I think I'm just gonna buy a new hd and cut my losses :(

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Unless I have missed something here, Hughv's guide will not work because that is for Windows 7 and you still have Windows XP on the hard drive. The command to use is fixmbr or fixboot but you need the XP disc to get to the command prompt or through using the F8 key at boot up and selecting the Command prompt from the Advanced Boot Menu. Are you able to get to the Advanced Boot Menu?

Did you get any help to clean out the infection or follow a guide somewhere or is it still in the system?

You will not get XP to run with it set to AHCI it needs to stay on IDE. XP will not have the drivers to operate the drive as SATA.

You can use this to save any important data Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

There is no infection that will stop a reinstall as the infection can only become active once the OS is booted. It sounds to me as if the hard drive has developed a fault so the best thing to do is not rush out and buy another one, it may not be a faulty drive. Run the manufacturer's diagnostics to test the drive and if it is healthy then use the same boot disc to wipe everything off the drive and try the re-install again. If it still fails then you should use Memtest86+ to test the memory. A memory fault can certainly stop a re-install as can a faulty drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice