1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 install Error number: 0x80070017

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dan657, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan657

dan657 Thread Starter

OK so I have had number of errors, the latest being 'Error number: 0x80070017' when trying to install windows 7.

I'll start from the top.

Originally I had problems exactly the same as on this thread below, incl same model PC except with Vista, also USB mouse often freezes or stops working:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/989152-random-windows-7-freezes.html

I ignored the problem until crash during online streaming (assumed problem was to do with graphics card), usual multi coloured horizontal lines on monitor, repeating sound. Manual push button shutdown.

On restart, black screen no boot activity.

Recovery DVD doesn't work/ don't have all the discs. So I bought Win 7 upgrade instead.

Now I have a combination of 'BOOTMGR is missing', and when that doesn't occur PC freezes on any screen you can think of. Sometimes I can get all the way to 'expanding files' when installing Win 7, then I get Error number: 0x80070017. I have tried copying DVD to USB drive (in case it's a dvd drive speed problem), but then cannot copy the whole DVD usually there's an error stopping me (on another pc).

Also no OS available to select during repair sytem selction on Win 7 upgrade/install screens

Finnally error regarding 'USB drive uplugged during boot' or something to that effect, also tells me DVD or CD or hardrive might no be connected properly. Had that message twice, again locks up. I've checked inside, everythings connected.

So to summarise:

Bootmgr missing (on boot)
    Error number: 0x80070017 (on Win 7 install)
    No OS available to select (System repair)
    Constant freezing

Well if anyone enjoys a challenge please help, as my patience is pretty thin now!

Any help is much appreciated. Let me know if you need any system info etc.

thanks.

2. dan657

dan657 Thread Starter

OK additional error that i descriobed poorly above reads:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your copmuter

this error can be caused by unpluggin a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or cd-rom frive that is failing. Make sure any bremovable storage...yada yada

info: an unexpected I/o eroor has occured

So I have had that 2-3 times now, on random occasions, no unpluggin of devices has occured (haven't even booted up)

thanks

3. shadow6224

shadow6224

Hello,
    I am thinking that this is a hardware issue and you may need a new hard drive. What is the computer's specs?
    Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice