1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ruvainc, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruvainc

ruvainc Thread Starter

Just purchased a new desktop and lap top both using windows 7 home version for my office. In the past, all computers in the office used windows xp and connected to internet with no problems both wireless and through a wire via the cable box and router.

Now, my connection to the internet on both the wireless and wired connection comes and goes when I use windows 7. The internet connection works fine with any computer using windows xp but comes and goes when using windows 7.

I took my new lap top home (windows 7) and plugged it into my cable box and had no problems connecting to the internet.

I am starting to guess this has something to do with the router in my office having compatibility problems with windows 7.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. This is getting very frustrating.

Thanks,

Rich

2. ruvainc

ruvainc Thread Starter

Sorry if my message was confusing. In a nutshell, I have 4 computers in my office using windows XP that have no problem getting online via wireless or wired with cable through router.

I recently purchased two new computers using windows 7 home version. While both can access the internet using the same connections as above, the internet connection on both comes and goes for no apparent reason.

Just to make sure the problem was not my new lap top with windows 7, I took it home and it worked fine using my cable box (no router at home)

Why do my old computers which use XP get online with no problem while my new computers with windows 7 cannot . I am guessing the problem has something to do with the router since I had no problem getting online without one at home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Rich

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try replacing the ethernet cables.

Also wireless connections can be location sensitive. If you place you new laptop beside a pillar that has a steel beam inside, it would affect the connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice