1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Issue With Factory Reset

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Wolvensparky, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wolvensparky

Wolvensparky Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for any help you may offer me by the way! :) So, when I go to restart my Windows 7 custom assembled computer I don't have an issue until I get to which hard drive will be reset. When I try to reset a hard drive the next button is grayed out because my partition disk is an MBR hard drive when it should be a GPT disk? I don't understand how I would go about fixing this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    2. A picture of the screen image you have where it shows the screen with the hard drive and the greyed out button would be very helpful
    Please try and get a pic and then save that from the camera or phone etc to another computer and attach it as a file by using the upload a file button on your reply
    3. Is the original recovery partition on the SAME hard disc as Windows is installed on

4. Wolvensparky

1. Thanks!
    3. I'm not sure I understand that last one. 20170104_074038.jpg 20170104_074022.jpg

5. Wolvensparky

I forgot to quote what you put. XD

6. Macboatmaster

There is no need to quote - thanks it simply posts back what I typed.
    Just type in the box as you did

7. Macboatmaster

There are two hard drives in that computer
    One is numbered disk0
    disks are only lettered in windows
    On that disk - hard drive you have two partitions

On the disk numbered 1
    you have three partitions - one of which is the HP Recovery partition.

It is a little difficult to know from your screenshot where windows is currently installed

HOW is Windows being installed NOW and from where as it does not appear to me that the HP has been configured to recover from that HP recovery on the disk numbered 1 - partition 3.

It may be worthwhile trying this
    1. Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:
      1. Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.
      2. Navigate to Storage > Boot Order, and then disable the EFI Boot Sources.
      3. Select File > Save Changes > Exit.
    2. Install the Windows operating system.
    3. Enable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:
      1. Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.
      2. Navigate to Storage > Boot Order, and then enable the EFI Boot Sources.
      3. Select File > Save Changes > Exit.

8. Macboatmaster

Having thought about it further would I be correct in saying that you are booting from a usb flash pen containing the windows installation
    If so you may get round the problem by pressing the key for one time boot options
    If there are two listings for the USB device and one is listed EFI or similar and the other the USB device without the words UEFI/EFI then chose the boot to usb that does not mention EFI

9. Wolvensparky

I don't have any usb's plugged into my computer except my keyboard, mouse, and etc. I only want to reset my C drive and I have a lot of issues restarting and booting windows so I'll get back to you if your thing works! Ty btw my bios is in Russian I think.

10. Wolvensparky

If I were to delete my partition 1 disc c or whatever would windows installation work? I have nothing on there I care for.

11. Macboatmaster

There is no need to quote just type in the box please

12. Macboatmaster

You appear to have left the topic perhaps to try my suggestion
    Windows 7 can only be installed in EFI mode if it is 64bit version
    32 bit cannot be so installed and must be in MBR mode

When you answer what you are using to install windows and which version and bit it is I may have a better chance of advising you correctly

If the present installation of Windows is on Disk 0 and not as may possibly be the case on Disk 1 and it is an MBR installation - Master Boot Record then the problem is caused NOT by the mode windows is in, but the fact you have booted the computer in UEFI mode. This sometimes occurs when you boot from a usb flash drive and that is why I asked if that was how you are installing windows

Re the message you have - On EFI systems windows can only be installed to GPT discs - you would still receive that message if you had simply booted EFI mode as against legacy mode

Please remember that I do not have the benefit of any knowledge as to how Windows has been installed on this HP or what has been changed since it was originally setup. All I have to work with is what you tell me and helpfully a little knowledge on my part

13. Wolvensparky

My bios is much different then explained in the directions but I am booting it as uefi the only other options are legacy? Sorry for the long delay. Trying to figure this out!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!