Windows 7 issue with old HP IIIp Printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

VJinMo

Hello,

I have just installed Windows 7 pro on my older computer (PCi slots only). I have an HP IIIp laserjet that I have used reliably for many years - love the quality of print. It has a parallel port connection to Mobo.

I have installed the updated drivers and computer recognizes it but when I direct a job to it , it just briefly turns on the receipt light then does nothing. I then have to go to the printer and cancel the print job.

Does this mean I have to abandon this jewel? (No support available form HP)

Thanks for looking at this post.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2030 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953869 MB, Free - 552302 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation , D865GVHZ , AAC72419-110 , FCHZ55303878
Antivirus: CenturyLink™ Online Security 9.01, Updated and Enabled

VJinMo

Downloaded from HP website so that the device could be recognized. Not part of Windows 7 package.(Too old , I guess)

Snagglegaster

Banned
An LJ 3. Wow that's old. I think what you are going to find with many older printers, is that the MS drivers don't work well. In fact, that's true of many current printers. Even if you get the printer working, most of the content you probably want to print is going to be printed in graphics mode, as opposed to text mode, and will take an eternity. I'd buy one of HP or Samsung's cheap laser printers and call it good.

VJinMo

Thanks Snag - I already have an HP C6150 All-in-one that has been great; just hate to part with this old IIIp.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I have a IIIp at home as well but has been sitting dormant for a long time. I will see what I can figure out.

I also have a 5p and when Windows 7 came out they didn't have the drivers up on HP's website. Windows Update did have them but I had to do some extra step to find them on Windows update. Something with have to update the driver list.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online