1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7, issues with Starcraft, Diablo II, Freespace

Discussion in 'Games' started by SlickStretch, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlickStretch

SlickStretch Thread Starter

Whenever I try to play Starcraft, Freespace, or Diablo II, the colors are all screwed up. On my XP machine, when this happens, I can alt+tab a few times and it fixes itself. In windows 7 it doesn't. Has anybody had this problem? Found a solution?

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

I've experienced the same problem with Starcraft on Vista and W7 (both 64-bit). You may wish to look for some update patches... I think I got it fixed once on Vista with a combination of an update patch and a compatibility setting (as bizarre as it seems I believe I set compatibility for NT 4). However I have not managed to fix this on W7.

I wonder if these display issues are DirectX-related... I'm pretty sure DX10 (Vista) provided some major changes over DX9 (2000, XP), and DX11 (W7) even more of its own. IIRC Starcraft requires DX3, if not some very old version.

Best fix is an old computer. I have a 10-year-old eMachines box with Windows 2000 Pro that Starcraft runs perfectly on. Its system requirements are pretty low- 133 MHz, 16 MB of RAM, Windows 95 or NT 4 I think?

3. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

I have the same problem (it's more of a nuisance actually). There are a few fixes that people have found:

- Run the program with the Personalize window open
    - Run the program with the Screen Resolution window open
    - Run the program with both windows open
    - Run the program with all compatibility options
    - Alt-tab out multiple times until the program fixes itself

The only one that I've had work somewhat perfectly is checking all compatibility options, including run as administrator.

I 100% agree :D I have an old 95 box that runs Diablo II and Starcraft excellently.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!