1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIndows 7 keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tbonenyc, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbonenyc

tbonenyc Thread Starter

Hello. My laptop running Windows 7 shuts down periodically for some unknown reason. It doesn't restart. It just shuts down. Lately, it seems to be happening more often. I suspect possible overheating since I hear the fan seemingly working hard more often. But unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to diagnose the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know what information I need to supply. If there is a program I can run that gathers all pertinent system information, please let me know and I will install it and get the ball rolling, Thanks in advance.

2. maky2000

maky2000

get a can of compressed air and blow inside thru the place where the fan flow the air out

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds dangerous to me. Is there not a big chance that will blow crud onto the fan and the components that the fan is trying to keep cool?

I'd check all the vents to make sure they are clear. You are using the laptop on a solid surface, right? Not on something soft, which will block the air flow?

4. buffoon

buffoon

TerryNet's misgivings about simply blasting air in thru the fan outlets are definitely to be shared.

The whole object of compressed air is to get at those inside corners and components that may be dirt layered so as to cause them to heat up. For this they need to be exposed so that an air blast can get the dust off and it can then be removed from those parts of the inner casing where it's flown to and where one may touch without danger of harming any micro-components (which shouldn't be touched at all if you don't know what you're doing).

Additionally to the back blow of muck that TerryNet mentions (which'll only add to the overheating), fans should be subjected to only short burst blasts and those from quite a distance. And the right direction helps. At the same time one should try immobilizing them with a cotton stick by light touch. They're pretty fragile and overspinning may well break a blade and crack their bearings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice