1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Laptop Shutdown, Waking Up and Sleep Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by captainfurious, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainfurious

captainfurious Thread Starter

Hi there,

I wonder if you are able to help.

About a week ago my beloved Dell Laptop died so I have quickly had to buy a second hand replacement due to financial constraints.

The "new Laptop" is as follows:-

Acer Emachine E625
    AMD Athlon TF-20 1.60 GHz
    3.00 GB Ram
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
    160 GB Harddrive

It has been bought with a fresh install of Windows 7 but on a nearly daily basis when turning the Laptop on it has asked for many updates. For example 2 days ago it asked for 208 Essential updates, yesterday 8 and today 33! Is this normal? I can understand when a fresh copy was loaded maybe updates were not done but they seem tobe more everyday!

The main problem I am having is is turning it off. I have found if I put the Laptop into Sleep or Hibernate when I wake the computer it has a blank screen and won't wake up. I have started to use Shutdown but most nights the computer turns itself on in the middle of the night and when I try to open the lid again iI have the same problem and it won't wake. So on every occasion I have to turn it off and so it restarts with the would I like to turn on in safe mode! I am sure this is not very good for the laptop.

I have not used Windows 7 before and really can't find a solution online.

Any help would be very much appreciated before I go mad or try and get my money back!

Kind Regards

Richard

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    See if you can click on start/right click on computer/select properties and see if you have a genuine windows activation OS installed. If you cannot find it then you might need to activate it with the keys provided. If no keys are available then you might have a non-registered version of Windows 7 installed.

Please provide us with the Model number and serial number of your computer.

3. captainfurious

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure how you tell if Windows is genuine but it sayes Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 and further down it sayes Windows is activated Product ID: 00359-OEM- 8992687-00006. The laptop has a Microsoft Product ID sticker on the back that is different to this but unknown if for Windows or other software.

The Laptop is an Acer Emachine E625.

Thanks again

Rich

4. captainfurious

Sorry, concerning the Laptop:-

Model Number - KAWG0
    It has a Serial Number Sticker but the writing has rubbed off

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  6. captainfurious

Thanks for the reply and link.

I read the article and made some minor changes. I left my computer on earlier and it went into sleep. It wouldn't start as per usual and I had to power off again. I noticed on that link that it goes to sleep after 15 minutes so this has been disabled. Whilst that was helpful it doesn'tsolve the mystrey of why I can't wake the computer from sleep or hibernate without having to turn off computer and go through the safe mode option. I wonder if simply I shouldn't be pressing the power key from sleep and just opening lid?? Also, I did notice that on shutting down the computer earlier it said it couldn't shut down as explorer.exe still running.....If this is internet explorer I don't use it! Any other thoughts on these. Thanks

7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The only thing I can just think of is to reprogram your computer again. Maybe something went wrong when installing your OS into your computer.

8. captainfurious

Unfortunatley thats the only thing I can't do as second hand and no windows disks. Any other ideas out there?

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Open the Power Options in the control panel. Then click choose what the power buttons do in the left lane.
    Then use the snipping tool to capture this and attach it to your next post.

Attached Files:

10. captainfurious

Hi there,

So that looks like the below image. I recently updated it to this based on the info from the Windows link above. And last time I opened my laptop from Sleep it worked! I still however have a feeling my computer will wake at somepoint at 3am and still not sure how to stop this.

How does the options I have selected below seem to you?

Thanks Capture.JPG

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The first option "when I press power" change it to turn off (battery and power)

click on "save changes"

Also check settings on "Balanced" click on change plan settings

check put the computer to sleep and make sure it is on "never" when plugged in and when in battery mode you can select whatever timing you want it to sleep. Make any changes on other choices and click "save changes".

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. captainfurious

All Done.

I will see how that goes but over the last couple of nights shutdown and sleep has worked and I have not woken to a machine in sleep that I can't revive. So, touch wood.....

Many Thanks

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice