1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 makes old hard drive not bootable

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by conficio, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conficio

conficio Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I did replace my old hard drive on my Gateway laptop (Windows XP) with a larger drive and did install Windows 7 on it. In order to transfer data and files I did stick the old drive into a USB case and attached it several times. Some files became only available in Windows 7 after some change of owner ship (on the "Documents ..." folders), which I agreed to.

However, I wanted now to use the old hard drive as a primary drive for looking at some special app that I had installed there. But the drive does not boot anymore.

What is going on here? Any idea why the drive says only "Press F11 to recover" and does not react to this at all?

Any idea what the remedy might be?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Was the old drive in the system when you installed W7?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you trying to boot from the case?

If you access an older drive from 7, it automatically converts the version of NTFS to a newer one.

4. conficio

conficio Thread Starter

No, I only connected it later to transfer data.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Simply connecting the drive didn't change anything. Changing ownership of system files certainly did. The only thing I can think of to try is a Windows repair, but I'd be sure to back up your data first.

6. conficio

conficio Thread Starter

No I put the drive back into the primary hard drive location.

But I tried to boot from the USB too and it does not recognize it as bootable apparently as it skips it and goes to the harddrive anyway.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice