1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 many issues after email spoofed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Macran, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macran

Macran Thread Starter

On 12/22/12 my AOL email was spoofed and for two hours someone sent emails to many people in my address book until I changed my password and became aware of this. I have two computers; one HP with Windows XP SP3 and a 9 month old HP pavilion desktop with windows 7 professional 64 bit. The XP appears to have been unaffected by this. The windows 7 well, I had to re install itunes to newer version and aol to a 9.7. beta version (did not know 64 bit was so hard to get along with) and those programs are running better than ever now, BUT now my MS Word 2000 and 2007 stopped responding, if I even open a word program up the computer freezes and does not respond to any shut down other than manual. During this week I also ran MS Essentials and malware bytes and I downloaded CCleaner and AVG anti virus and PC tuner and all came up clean McAfee is already installed. I use my computer for work with a VPN Broadband connection just FYI they require I keep McAfee (not my favorite) I see that MS says word 2000 is not compatible with win 7 but it worked for me for 9 months??? Any suggestions, I hate to lose all the word documents I wrote under 2000, I have all of them in the XP computer but since I replaced its hard drive and mainframe (2004 build) not sure how many years it has left. I wanted to restore 7 back to earlier date and it said May was only available I thought it set some itself every month, wrong...I will that for now on. I tried many possible fixes such as typing winword/a something in search and it worked for a minute, next time computer came up word stopped working. I am also using western digital external back up on both computers but I don't leave them plugged in 24/7. thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Well for starters one should NOT run more than one (1) AV program. You have listed MSE, AVG, and McAfee which are ALL AV programs. You need to get rid of all of them and then install ONLY one of them.

As for the Word 2000 files, they ALL should open just fine with 2007 and should stay as "doc" type until you save them as a "docx" file.

Now the use of PC tuner and CCleaner can mess up ones registry if you use either or both to clean out the registry. If you did this, then you may just be in for a system recover back to factory settings. I would make sure that I had a very good DATA backup if I were you.

Also, would you please not use the "bold" text in your post, it is hard to read.

3. Macran

Macran Thread Starter

I removed AVG and AVG tuner because it did make some changes to my registry and it wanted to do more but I stopped it. I ran Chkdsk and after a few hours it completed and said it had repaired 107600, anyway all word programs seem to be running fine now, faster than before and I know longer hear a ticking noice when I open word and it does not freeze, AOL and Itunes are still both running well. I will also get rid of CCleaner, I was so afraid that some virus had taken over that my Mcafee and MS Essentials and Malware bytes did not pick up that in desperation I downloaded those too, I may have made my problem bigger than it was, but I will be sure to set a restore point now and am very grateful for your information and quick response. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice