Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 7 - My wireless connection is WPA, but my wireless computer detects it as WEP

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BurntBiscuits 
#1 ·
I have recently put together a computer with a wireless adapter and Windows 7. This was in addition to my computer running Windows Vista that has been plugged into my router. In the past, if a friend came round with a laptop, they could detect my wireless network and connect to it using the WPA key.

However, with my new PC, this is not the case. The computer picks up the connection, but stubbornly believes it is a WEP connection. when I try to connect to it using my WPA security key, I get an error. Entering 'admin' seems to do the job. This is no the case however. After some time the computer only gains limited connectivity with the network and tries telling me to turn my router on and off again, which I have done.

I tried manually changing the connections settings. I told the computer it was a WPA - Personal (Which it is) and input the correct security key. After doing that however, I was told that 'The settings of the network do not match the settings of the network' and couldn't connect to the network at all.

To get round this, I simply removed the connection from my list of wireless connections, but now I'm left back at square one. Why on earth is this happening? Why is it that other devices, including laptops with Vista and 7 and even my Xbox 360 can connect to my network, but my computer can't?

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have the latest correct wireless adapter driver?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.