1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Networking (cannot connect to Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mindoranto, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mindoranto

mindoranto Thread Starter

Hello, I have researched this issue before with no luck.....I have 2 notebooks with Windows 7 on them, one Professional on Ultimate, sometimes they can see our Windows 2003 SBE Server just fine along with other computers on the network...other times they can't see anything but themselves.:confused:,
    The only work around I have found for this is to install Windows XP Mode and use that, technically not a practical solution but something that works for the time being. Right now I can ping and access the files on this notebook just fine from an XP machine but I can not see the XP machine for this notebook.
    All computers are on the same Workgroup (Not a HomeGroup), all can access the internet just fine, printers are directly connected to the network and can print just fine but not access folders on individual computers or Servers. All firewalls are disabled ie Avast and Windows. Still nothing. Even though it doesn't work right now, tomorrow it might work just fine without changing anything. Other times the Windows 7 machine can see the computers but not access the files. This is such a common issue that if you were to Google it, it would pop up under suggestions??? Can anyone help??????

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Windows 7 and Vista likes to see the same user account and password on ALL machines. This can be a unused account, but must be on all machines. Also the other user accounts need to be passworded.

Once this is done, restart your machines.

3. mindoranto

Everyone uses the same username...any other suggestions????

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    BUT do you have a password on this account?

5. mindoranto

yes same user and same password

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice