1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 nightmare!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Starkid, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

Hello,

I believe this is a common problem, but am yet unable to find a simple solution. I have recently changed from window xp to windows 7. I backed up everything to an external harddrive beforehand, as per microsoft advice. I also used the 'easy transfer' system to cover all my bases. The easy transfer kept most of my files, but it did not keep my outlook. If I try to open my back up file I get a window asking if I want to open or save it. If I choose open the window disappears and flicks straight up again. If I choose save, it begins to save but I don't see the sense in saving the same file to another drive, as I believe Windows 7 will not read that file type anyway. It is a bkf file. I see that there are a lot of programs available that claim to open bkf files but they all come at a cost and are registry cleaners. Will this type of program fix my problem? If yes do you recommend any specific one? I have tried NTbackup. The first time I started it it estimated the completion time to be 100's of days so I stopped it. When I try to run it again, it says that it completed (within seconds), but the file it created is empty. I have tried opening the backup file with a number of applications, but nothing has worked so far. When I open with explorer, that's when I'm getting the window asking to open or save.:confused: Please help.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Ntbackup is the program you want (Use the restore option). The Win7 version is here.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974674
    You need the outlook.pst file.
    Windows XP / 2000:
    If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000, the files are in the following locations:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Outlook and all other Office components will need to be reinstalled. They are not part of Windows and are purchased separately. If you bought Office to get Outlook, use the same installer as you used last time.

4. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

thanks. I have reinstalled outlook and it is working fine. I just can't get my old emails and contacts back. I have tried the NTbackup kb974674 but it will not open the back up file that I saved. When I go to the file via my computer to check the properties of the file, it shows that the file is 371GB so there's surely some info stored in it. But when I select it in the NT backup system it shows an empty file. ???

5. Hughv

Hughv

It's not clear what you're doing.
    Run NTbackup.
    Select the restore option.
    Navigate to your bkf file.

6. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

ok, when I run the NT backup I go to the restore option. On the left side of the window, I open up the folders until I find my backup file. When I select my backup file, in the right side of the window it says "no entries found". I feared that I may have inadvertently destroyed the file through my restore attempts but when I access that same file via "my computer" and check the properties, it shows a file size of371GB. I am unable to open the backup file to see what's in it. Before I installed windows 7 I could click on that folder and see all the files it saved but now I cannot even open it. Even when I connect the external harddrive to an old laptop that runs xp, it will not open. It seems to now be set to open with NT backup and it shows the same thing - no entries when that folder is selected. I wonder if one of those 'open bkf files' programs will work. There are so many available, I don't know which ones to trust. They all seem to want to clean my registry. do you think it will help to do that?

7. Hughv

Hughv

8. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

peerhaps I am not making sense. Here's what I have done so far:
    • backed up computer to external harddrive (took hours & hours) - saved in a file called 'backup'
    • ran 'windows easy transfer' (was much quicker)
    • disconnected external harddrive (just in case)
    • installed windows 7
    • installed Office 2010
    • ran 'easy transfer' in restore mode
    • all files that 'easy transfer' saved and restored appeared as per normal back onto my computer (outlook was not one of them)
    • tried to restore the backup file - could not open the file
    • google solutions, bombarded with suggestions of software programs to 'open bkf files' (all seem to be registry cleaners)
    • found NT backup for windows 7
    • ran NTbackup - it noted an estimated time of over 100 days to complete
    • let NT backup run for few hours but computer tried to shut down
    • got some error messages (these were not new, I was getting these each time I shut down, but not since installing windows 7)
    • shut computer down
    • tried to run NT backup again - this time it said completed (within seconds)
    • now cannot seem to open the backup file at all and NT backup says 'no entries found'
    • tearing my hair out wondering what to do, cursing microsoft for not warning about this problem

9. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

Hughv, I tried that link also but when I go through, I can follow all the steps until step 3. I do not have an option called "removeable storage management". I am logged in as administrator. wierd. the actual program for NT backup seems to work, I just cant open the file I need - well it's saying that its empty.

10. Hughv

Hughv

Go back to the original HD and find the Outlook.pst file in the location I showed above.
    Copy it to a known location on the new drive and Use the Import feature of Outlook to install it.

11. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

I went into windows.old. Is that where you meant for me to look? I followed the path you outlined and go to outlook. the files listed in outlook are:
    RoamCache 13/10/2011
    extend.dat 13/10/2011 DAT file 1KB
    outlook-2010.sharing.xml.obi 6/06/20 OBI file 2KB
    outlook 28/10/2011 outlook data file 1,518,769KB
    outlook.sharing.xml.obi 13/10/2011 2KB
    there are no .pst files. I think I may be missing some sort of reader because all but the new file (28/10/2011) have a blank page icon beside it instead of a proper icon. Can you think of anything I should have installed after the upgrade that would make these files readable? I have installed Adobe x and Java

12. Hughv

Hughv

You have to enable hidden files.
    In Control Panel/Folder Options/View, uncheck the hidden files option.

13. Starkid

Starkid Thread Starter

hidden files are showing. didn't make a difference. I think I'll give up on this for today and go get some sleep. If you think of anything else, please post and I'll check it after work tomorrow. Thanks for brain storming this with me. I'm thinking I may have to bite the bullet and get a tech in to have a look and a poke around. I really hope I can get my outlook back.
    Cheers,

14. Hughv

Hughv

Use the Wun7 search feature.
    As I recall, that folder is called "App data", not "Application data.'

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice