Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 7: no internet via Ethernet connection, wireless is fine

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Craig_P 
#1 ·
Looking for some help here as I'm stuck.
3 year old Toshiba laptop (Satellite P100). Ethernet and wireless both worked fine with XP. Since upgrading to Windows 7, my wireless is fine, but I can't connect to the internet via Ethernet. Other computers in the house are connected to my router (linksys WRT54GL) and work fine. I've set up an IP address manually (like I have on the other computers) with no luck. Automatically setting it will not work either. I'm using just TCP/IPv4 (v6 is unchecked, older router doesn;t support it). I've played with just about everything I can think of and still no luck.
The strange thing is that when I try to load a website, the data seems to trickle in for a second. For example, going to google.com, it will look like its loading, but nothing will come up. Then just the text will come up after maybe 20 seconds, but the logo (ie graphics) will not. It will just hang there and time out. Any normal webpage I visit will just sit on a blank screen then Firefox will report it's "done" at the bottom, but nothing will be displayed.

I also cannot log-on to my router, same problem, it will not load the web interface page, and will just time-out.

Under the "Network and Sharing" center everything appears to be fine. It will say I am connected to my network, and the diagnostics will not find anything wrong. Still, no internet.

Tried bypassing the router and plugging directly into the cable modem, and this does not work either.

Drivers are up to date (as far as I can tell, Toshiba website indicates Windows 7 inbox drivers are the latest for my computer's ethernet adapter)

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi:
Here is a pretty good guide to setting up the broadband connection.
Follow all the steps and see if that works.
Tips on setting up broadband connection, courtesy of Johnwill

You don't need any setup disk to configure a broadband router.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.
• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
• Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
• Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
• Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
• Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
• Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If still no luck,could try a stack repair,like so:
Stack repair for XP and Vista.
Courtesy of Johnwill of the Networking forum.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

#3 ·
Followed all of the directions above, still same problem. Like I said above, the internet trickles in, but then freezes/times out. Like the basic text of a really basic site might partially load, then it will just stop. Most pages will just not load at all. Can't connect to the router.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Craigs-Laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-48-D5-63
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : May-16-10 3:42:51 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : May-17-10 3:42:51 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.71.255.198
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.phub.net.cable.rogers.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:18db:307f:9c0f:de8(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18db:307f:9c0f:de8%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.1.101

Pinging 192.168.1.101 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 16ms

C:\Windows\system32>ping 64.71.255.198

Pinging 64.71.255.198 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=122
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=122
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=122
Reply from 64.71.255.198: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=122

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.198:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 127ms, Average = 55ms

C:\Windows\system32>ping 206.190.60.37

Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=53
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=53
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=53
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 187ms, Average = 87ms

C:\Windows\system32>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [72.30.2.43] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 72.30.2.43: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=53
Reply from 72.30.2.43: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=53
Reply from 72.30.2.43: bytes=32 time=130ms TTL=53
Reply from 72.30.2.43: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 72.30.2.43:
Minimum = 89ms, Maximum = 130ms, Average = 100ms

#4 ·
Your ipconfig does show an apparently good internet connection.All pings were received and answered.
Last thing you might try is go to the linksys website and download the most current firmware for your router.
If you enter
you do not access the router's admin page ?
This is way out,but have you tried a known working ethernet cable for this connection?

#5 ·
No, I cannot open the admin page via the web browser (Firefox and IE both timeout).

I've tried two different cables, though I've been trying with a new one, so I suppose I haven't confirmed it's working. But the pings work, so I assume to cable is good? I'll try some swapping to make extra sure.

Upgraded router firmware, did not help.

#6 ·
Use Device Manager to uninstall your ethernet; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver (in case of driver corruption).

What non-Windows security applications (firewall, anti-virus, security suite, etc.) do, or did, you have on this machine?

#7 ·
I'm currently the latest version of avast! I tried disabling it, and it did not fix the problem.

I had tried uninstalling the ethernet before, and reinstalling. That did not fix the problem.
Oddly enough, when I just uninstalled it now, and rebooted, the Windows driver installer said it failed to install the driver when my computer rebooted, but it's listed under device manager as working and drivers being up to date.

#10 ·
Having just reviewed the whole thread again I see you had already answered the cable question before I asked it. Sorry about that.

I'm left with thinking that the ethernet adapter has failed. I can only think of one other thing we haven't tried--the possibility that it is not able auto-sync a speed with the router or modem. In Device Manager right click the adapter - Properties - Advanced tab - for the "Speed & Duplex" property try a couple different settings such as 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mpbs full duplex.

#11 ·
Well, that helped for about 2 seconds. I changed the setting to 100Mbs full duplex, and a webpage loaded perfectly. Then I tried another page, and it reverted to to the previous problems. Reloaded the first page and it just got stuck as before. I tried all the other settings, and again, no luck, except for fully loading one page one out of every 20 times. It will sometimes start to load a page, for example, enough info will be transferred so the title of the page loads on the Firefox tab, but that's it. Like it gets stuck/hung up after a second.

For what it's worth, I swear under XP my ethernet driver was an Intel Pro 10/100, and now under Windows 7 it's listed at Intel Pro/1000. I might just be remembering incorrectly, but could win7 be mis-identifying the integrated ethernet card and self-installing the wrong driver?

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite P100-PSPA3C SD300E (it's a Canadian model number) if that helps maybe tracking down a Vista driver?

Maybe the integrated card has just gone bad. I really have no idea at this point.

Thanks for all the help so far, it's much appreciated.

#12 ·
For what it's worth, I swear under XP my ethernet driver was an Intel Pro 10/100, and now under Windows 7 it's listed at Intel Pro/1000.
That could be an indication of an incorrect driver. You're using whatever driver Windows found and installed? Often that works, but sometimes not. You have Windows 7 right? If Windows 7 driver doesn't exist try the Vista one while going through the following list.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
3. Device manufacturer's web site,
4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
7. Use Windows Update.

#14 ·
As an update, I have tried everything I can think of with no success. Nothing seems to help, problem persists. I can only assume my network card has just gone bad or something, or is a problem far beyond my ability to diagnose or fix. Not a huge deal, use my wireless all the time anyways.

Regardless, thanks for all the above help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.