1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 now runs very slowly after hard shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pazzaar, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pazzaar

Pazzaar Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio EB series running Windows 7 64 bit, and it is suddenly running very slowly after a hard shutdown.

I was forced to shut down my computer due to it having frozen up, whilst playing the Battlefield 3 single player. The computer crashed, and after about 5 minutes of rapidly pressing ctrl+alt+delete, and alt+tab, I decided the best way forwards was to force shut it down, by holding the shut down button. After restarting my computer, I noticed it took slightly longer to boot up. Hmm, nothing special. Then, I entered my login credentials, and after a 2-3 minute wait at the 'Welcome' screen, I was presented with a black screen, nothing more. After about 5 minutes, my cursor popped up. Oh, at least I have that. I pressed ctrl+alt+delete again, however after waiting 5 minutes for the screen to pop up, task manager simply would not open. I came back around 30 mins later, and the taskbar and my wallpaper had popped up. However, I pressed the start button to see if it would come up with the menu. Nothing. Cursor stops moving, bam. Another crash. Another forced restart.

This repeats once again, so I decide to head on into safe mode and try to go back to a restore point. Even safe mode is somewhat laggy, however it is not un-usable. After system restore is complete, nothing has changed. I still have to wait around 30 mins for the taskbar to pop up. I then tried using the repair tool you get to try if the computer doesn't start up properly. Doesn't work. My third option is to try out chkdsk, and that is happening as we speak. It has currently been going on for about 14 hrs, and found many corrupt files aparently in stage 4, however many of these files don't appear to be major. Its currently at 16% done, 205675 out of 371465 files processed.

System specs wise, I have an Intel i5 460m processor @ 2.3ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit operating system, and an ATI Mobility Radeon 5650, which I have overclocked to 650mhz core clock speeds, 950 memory clocks, from 450 - 790.

Any advice onto how I could fix this, as chkdsk will probably take a year to complete, or any idea on how this happened and how I could avoid it? Thanks in advanced

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a hard-core gamer nor an overclocker, but it's my guess your computer froze up because of the instability of overclocking it.

Let's see if anyone knowledgeable in this area jumps in to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. Acceleratrix

Acceleratrix

I'd agree with flavallee. Sounds like a big over clock and since you were in the middle of a game I'd guess that you had some major heat issues. First reset the GPU to stock settings and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'd try a different video card that you know works to see whether you fried your Radeon 5650.

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

If you're over-clocking, please please PLEASE use temp widgets. There are a ton and they are extremely vital to making sure you do not fry your computer. Yes, your computer can literally set on fire too from OCing and not monitoring temps if it gets out of hand, I have seen it happen.

Chances are the above individuals are correct on your OCing causing this problem.

PS: Make sure to monitor BOTH your CPU temp and your mobo temps. Perfect temps are 25-35*C for both. With gaming and in the summer, you can hit up to 55*C - if it passes 60*C, you need to cool it down.

PSS: I am running a 6-core AMD CPU to 3.8GHz from 3.2GHz. I have an ASUS mobo. I sit at around 32*C.

5. Pazzaar

Pazzaar Thread Starter

Thats odd, because I use HWMonitor to keep an eye on my computer's temp, and my cpu reaches around 80C whilst my graphics card around 70C, but I have read that Intel proccessors are designed to run hot. As well as that, my computer runs only very slightly below those temps whilst I have it at its normal clocks. I did such a big jump in the clocks because Sony are know to underclock their graphics cards, usually for battery life problems. The computer hasn't had any problems for the month or two I have had it overclocked.

By the way, after the CHKDSK was complete, the computer seems to be running fine now, I am speaking to you from my PC right now. Would the CHKDSK solve the problem if it was an overclocking issue?

6. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

That's extremely high. You have some ventilation/heatsink/cooling issues. Are you meaning it runs at 80*C under idle/normal load? I just did some searching around and yes Intel can run higher, but the general consensus seems that it should NOT surpass 75*C (80*C if running prim95) under heavy load and you're surpassing that normally.

It did not have any problems with the OC for 2 months because even though it might be hurting the CPU, they chug along. Sometimes a CPU can run unstable just fine and then just one day crash. They don't always crash right away if they're not functioning properly. They're quite marvelous technology actually. I recommend either getting a better case and/or a better heatsink. You could even go liquid cool if you want.

The OC and your temps are definitely your problem. Are you running the stock heatsink? It seems also in my findings that the stock heatsink that Intel provides is not very good for heavy load/OC machines. I recommend getting a new heatsink first. Search around on Newegg, they make a lot of heatsinks for the i series processors specifically.

7. Pazzaar

Pazzaar Thread Starter

Well, my computers CPU idles at 47C, Graphics card at 52C or so. The thing is, is that I was gaming on the laptop for some time (I've had it for around 11 months now), not overclocked, and my CPU was sometimes reaching heats of 95C, due to a lack of heating. I've now propped up my laptop on a book, allowing a lot of airflow for the fans, so temps have reduced. It just seems odd to me that it would be an over heating issue when my laptop has been running VERY hot in the past.

8. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Well that would mean it has just degraded over time. Keep in mind this is just my guesstimate based on the information provided and the fact that I cannot see the computer in hand.

Even though a PC can last while OCing and running hot, it's still degrading over time and causing more wear and tear on the products. This would be why it lasted X amount of time and then all of a sudden tanked.

Try re-installing Windows and if it continues to happen, then that would confirm it is a hardware issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice