1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 OEM disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gparachute, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gparachute

gparachute Thread Starter

Hello All,

This is my first time at this site, nice to meet you all.

I am having an issue of principal here. I purchased an Acer Aspire Timeline AS3810T. It's actually a really nice and well designed laptop.

Here's the major beef I have with Acer. They are not willing to provide a clean OEM install disk, only the recovery disk, which contains all the crap and ads that new computers come with. It's pretty frustrating, as I only want a clean install of Windows 7, installed on the machine for which I legally own a license for.

It's infuriating...do you know of a way to obtain an OEM copy of Windows 7 from a manufacturer (what to say, or do in order to get it?). I feel that legally they're obligated to give it to me.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

2. jordanfuchs

jordanfuchs

They should provide you with one? I would be ringing them and demanding one. Failing that, send a nicely worded email to microsoft outlining why you need a clean install disk and your manufacturer wont provide you with one.

3. gparachute

I spoke with three people from Acer today (two from India, one US-based) and they were ADAMANT that I can't have it. It's pretty crazy...I'll try calling Microsoft tomorrow. It's infuriating, it's the matter of principle - they are not letting me have something which I purchased and own a license for. And I'm really trying to use it for a legal purpose - installing Windows OEM copy on a machine I purchased it with. Crazy!

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Legally the only thing they are obligated to provide you with is the preinstalled version of windows that came on your computer. You can possibly order the same version on DVD from Acer but as you mentioned it will come again with all of the bloatware. Acer is licensed to distribute this with one of thier computers including all of the bloatware, which is why you actually end up paying $25 0r $30 dollars for the Preinstalled OS instead of the $100 or more for an OEM version.

A letter to Microsoft will not get you a copy unless you are willing to pay the going price for it.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    And the license you own is the license to use the prinstalled copy of windows only on the computer it was provided with. Seems a raw deal, but if you read the End User License Agreement (EULA) for both the Computer and The Preinstalled copy of Windows you will find your answers in there. This argument has risen up before.

6. gparachute

You got that right - it's an absolutely raw deal! UGH.

Well, I'll Acer tomorrow and ask them to mail me their version of OS, bloatware and all.

I'm still curious as to what Microsoft will have to say. I'll post what happens on this thread.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    1st, be prepared to pay for the disc from Acer (I had to pay for the Recovery (Factory Image Disc) for my Compaq), even with the bloatware (BTW I hate the bloatware myself).

2nd, I can already imagine the reply from MS, "We are sorry, but Acer is responsible for the support of the OS supplied with one of their systems." The usual support for OEM versions of Windows lies with the System Manufacturer as described by the License for the OEM OS. So again you are stuck going back to Acer. As far as Updates to the OS that is still provided by MS, but when dealing with Installation Problems, Compatibility and stuff like that It goes with the System Builder.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't know about ACER, but my Toshiba came with a lot of added junk, too, though not all of it was bad. There were some system monitoring tools that I thought actually were useful and I wanted to keep. But as far as all the rest went, it was all listed in Programs & Features and could be easily uninstalled. So that's what I did with what I didn't want, it all uninstalled without problems, and I then made a new "installation" DVD by creating a partition image of my "customized" installation on DVD's. Then deleted my "recovery partition" and added that space to the main one.

Since you have the recovery partition with the same contents as the DVD's already on your machine, making a copy of that will be easier than paying for another set of DVD's. And even better if you customize your set. Very few times are you going to want to go back to the way you bought the machine, if ever, but you may want to go back to an earlier installation state, such as the way it was when you finally got most of your programs installed and settings the way you wanted them. That's exactly what you can do with an image.

I agree that most new machines actually seem slow compared to my older ones due to all the added junk. But it hasn't even been that hard to remove what isn't wanted.

9. antech

antech Banned

10. gparachute

Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with Acer today and requested a restore disk. They will mail it to me. The laptop I bought does not have a DVD bay, but I should be able to boot off of an external USB DVD drive (I assume BIOS will see it).

Microsoft is closed today (heh). I will still pursue this with Microsoft, just to see what comes out of it. Will keep you posted.

Here's an example I thought of. If you buy a brand new car, you don't want to have a bunch of ads and crap on your dashboard, right? This is an equivalent of a dealership selling you a car, but being unwilling to remove 'Nascar' ads they plastered all over the dash. I understand good business, and support it, but they should provide OEM disks upon request.

11. antech

antech Banned

Doing this will count up to their loss

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Microsoft provides no support to consumers who purchase OEM Windows licenses. They will either ignore you or tell you that directly.

13. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

First of all, one of the reasons your Acer laptop was so inexpensive was because all of the "Bloatware and Crapware" that was preinstalled on it have paid Acer to place that Bloatware and Crapware on your new laptop, therefore subsidizing it's manufacture. Second, the reason you don't get a full OEM Windows disc is because Acer only had to pay about $20 to MS for the version that they loaded on your laptop. You want a full version OEM disc you'll have to buy it from a retailer like newegg.com for around $99.

Here's my suggestion. Quit while you're ahead and just uninstall all the crapware from your laptop. Then buy Acronis True Image or get the free version of Macrium Reflect and make an image of your hardrive. Then, if anything goes wrong you'll be able to quickly restore your laptop to the state you want with all the crapware gone. Don't even waste your time calling MS as they have had to deal with this time and time again and are within their legal rights to tell you to kiss off. It's sad but true.

14. shihni

shihni

What I'd suggest is borrowing a copy of W7 from a friend, coworker, whatever as long as the licence sticker is on the laptop. Go into a smaller computer store and ask to use an OEM disk to do the clean installation, using your key. Then make a backup once the install is complete. They might say no, but then you'd be no worse off than you are now.

15. antech

antech Banned

bad advice

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice