1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 on an MSI Z390 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FakeNinja, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FakeNinja

FakeNinja Thread Starter

I just built a PC with an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard and I need help installing Windows 7. I went to the driver download page on my mobo website and only Win 10 x64 was listed, however, when I downloaded the LAN and the chipset driver, the installer said that Win 7 was indeed supported as well. So if I have the chipset, LAN and GPU drivers, will I be fine? Or are there any other necessary drivers?

Secondly, I can't even get the OS to install. My USB mouse and keyboard didn't even work so I had to use a PS/2 keyboard to navigate in the installer, but when I click the install button, I only get this far: https://imgur.com/a/iMj4mmH

I tried using the MSI smart tool and even the ASUS EZ installer to inject USB 3.0 and NVME (Yes I have a M.2 NVME drive) but it didn't work and I still got the same error message.

I also tried loading several USB 3.0 drivers in the Win 7 installer but it said that the driver wasn't compatible with my hardware? This is one of the many drivers I tried to install: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65855/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver
    Shouldn't this be the correct driver? It says it's compatible with Windows 7 so why does the installer say otherwise? Is the Windows 7 installer just badly coded when it comes to installing drivers or is this not the correct driver for my hardware? (Btw I'm installing Windows using a USB)

The weird thing is, the Windows 7 installer does detect both my NVME SSD and my HDD when I browse for drivers, so what driver does it want me to install exactly?? Is it just impossible to install Windows 7 on a Z390 motherboard and am I better just downgrading to a Z370 instead? Or is there actually a way to fix this?

What else can I do here? I would be extremely thankful for any help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON (support site)

It supports 8th and 9th Generation Intel processors.

Windows 7 needs a 6th Generation or older Intel processor.

That's why you see listed drivers only for Windows 10 64-bit.

You cannot install Windows 7 64-bit in that motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. FakeNinja

FakeNinja Thread Starter

That's not true, I have seen people install Win 7 on Z370 motherboards with an 8th gen CPU. The ASUS Z370-H even has drivers available for Windows 7.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    In post #1, you said you built a computer with a MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON motherboard.
    The title of your thread even refers to a Z390
    In post #1, you did not say you built a computer with an ASUS Z370 or ASUS Z370-H model motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    plodr likes this.
  5. FakeNinja

FakeNinja Thread Starter

Yes, but you claimed that Win 7 only works on 6th gen CPUs or older, but the Z370 motherboard even has drivers available for 7 which means that even 8th gen CPUs are supported.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 7 may possibly install in a computer that has a 7th generation Intel processor.
    However, Microsoft may not allow that computer to install Windows 7 updates for it.
    This is Microsoft's way of forcing people to move to Windows 10.
    To my knowledge, Windows 7 will not even install in a computer that has an 8th or 9th generation Intel processor.

----------------------------------------------------------------

plodr likes this.
  7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not going to install win7 on a nvme type drive unless you slipstream the necessary drivers into the install media. This is going to require a reasonably high level of skill. Even IF you were able to slipstream the nvme driver, win7 is not a supported operating system.

In short, you are fighting a loosing battle. While you may get win7 to install, it is never going to work well.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice