1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 one left or not???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by harrylyme, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harrylyme

harrylyme Thread Starter

i have a copy of windows 7,(genuine)but not to sure if the authorisation code as one installation left on it,my question is this,if i do a test installation on my "d" drive (i have fitted two hd on my system)how would i stand if i then install on my "c" drive.
    i apologise if this sounds a bit dodgy but it is quite above board,thanks for your time.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

If it's a genuine copy, just install it. If there's any problem, the call to activate over the phone with Microsoft is free.

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Also, do a backup of C using a backup program that lets you create a bootable recovery disk. That gives you a 'reversion' capacity if it turns out your copy of Win7 doesn't have an activation left. (Out of curiousity, this is the first I've heard about a Win7 version having multiple but limited activations. Volume licensing, whatever they're calling it now, used to allow unlimited installations-but you pay for each one. The other versions I'm familiar with allow only 1 'full' installation, all others are trial versions that won't activate.)

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The activation question also doesnt make sense to me as well...you can activate a retail version when needed....its good for one machine at a time
    If one wanted to do testing then they would install but not activate it...if they were happy with the install and worked out any bugs etc they had they could then activate it..you have 30 days to do such.

Now in theory you cant run 2 copies on the machine with one license ...such as 1 on C and 1 on D as this goes against the agreement.

It used to be common for people to run 2 copies of xp...the copy on C would be the one they wanted to stay clean and used another partition for guests etc...when the brother or sister trashed the install they would just reformat that install.

This also has its problems as windows likes "C" and will give you various problems when installed elsewhere....having multiple hard drives and the option to select within the bios lessens these problems

Now if you are wanting to do some actual testing of 7 itself rather.I recommend a virtual machine...set up 7 how you like it then take a snap shot..if you hose it just revert back to the snapshot.

This is much better than running 2 copies of 7 each with its own partition as you run into various problems.

However a dual boot setup as you want can provide a benefit at times..lets say one becomes unbootable then you can boot the other one to get online and do research.

With the built in imaging software on 7 as well as start up repairs the second install isnt needed to the extent it used to be.

The only reason I see to have 2 copys of 7 on the same machine would be copy for me...and a copy for everyone else to use...which brings us back to the virtual machine...make em use the virtual machine..leaving your install untouched..if they hose the install on the virtual machine just go back to the snap shot with a couple mouse clicks.

Personally I would use the second HDD as media storage of pictures music etc...and to keep an image of my C on..set up 7 how you like it...make an image.

Now if you want to do a reinstall of windows just point to the image..and 7 is how you want it and your media is still over on D...the library feature in 7 makes storing media outside of c very practical

5. harrylyme

harrylyme Thread Starter

i would like to thank you all for these very informative replys,i now have i am sure all the answers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice