1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 or XP will not auto detect USB bluetooth device / dongle.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheWhiteKnight, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheWhiteKnight

TheWhiteKnight Thread Starter

Hello I am having a repeat issue with a MediaLink Bluetooth 4.0 adapter recently purchased. I purchased one as a gift for another and they had this same issue but I was able to get it resolved for them and cannot remember how I did it. The problem was when plugging the dongle into any of multiple ports windows doesn't even flinch. Device doesn't light up, simply nothing happens.

Completely undetected.

I have tried it on an HP Elite desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate and a Dell Vostro Laptop with XP on it.

I remember one part of the solution was to not use the included CD drivers from the company or the ones available from their site as per their own instructions it was suggested I use Broadcom's direct driver download utility which I did. But this is useless if the device is undetectable to begin with, it's as good as dead to the computer. I also disabled my anti-virus momentarily wondering if it could be the culprit as it usually is.

I have searched around and found no solution, any ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it doesn't get detected at all then it may just be broken.

3. TheWhiteKnight

Again, I have had the issue before and it turned out it was not the device. I'm hoping to find a solution before just returning it and wasting more downtime.. Is there a definitive way to test whether it's the device?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Generally if it Windows doesn't even acknowledged that a device has been plugged in that's not a good sign, especially on two different computers. When you plug the device in, does anything show in Device Manager for it?

5. TheWhiteKnight

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No Unknown devices listed elsewhere and no Bluetooth section? If you unplug it do any other the USB devices in that list disappear such as the Composite device?

7. TheWhiteKnight

No unknown devices and no bluetooth section and reinserting in multiple ports changed nothing. No external usb thing is being used either..

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Normally thats a sign of a dead USB device.

9. TheWhiteKnight

Ok, i'll give it one last try tonight on a friends iMac, if no luck I will give the company a call back Monday and see if they have any last ideas before I exchange it. They have great customer support I'll report back if that was in fact the case, maybe i'll remember how I got it to detect the last time..

P.S. I got 99 posts and a glitch ain't one!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice