1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 patrons unable to connect wirelessly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by knightnday, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knightnday

knightnday Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Here's the issue I'm having. I'm using Untangle on my clients wireless network. It handles all the DHCP and DNS requests. I'm using the web filter option as well. There are two access points, one on upper level and one on lower level. All connect into a switch and then into the optional port on the firewall. Firewall is not set up to give out DHCP leases. Pretty basic setup. Ever since I got Untangle up and running ive noticed my laptop, which has Win 7 as O/S will connect to wireless network, i can ping untangle box, and access point. But no internet. Signal bar shows I have limited connectivity. I thought it was just something on my laptop and set the issue aside. For the record I've never had any issue with connecting to a wireless network with this laptop, at home Im using Ubuntu server to handle all my DHCP, DNS requests on both my wired and wireless network. Never had a problem. Now this client is a library. And I talk to the director, and she has gotten complaints that any patron that uses Win 7 can not connect to wireless. When I'm not there we have a laptop that uses XP, it connects fine. All other patrons that use XP connect without a problem. I can not for the life of me figure out why this is? Am I losing my mid?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Looks like you lost an "n", but the main part of your mind is there. :) (Sometimes I just can't resist a straight line, even from a new member. Welcome.)

Maybe the following will give a clue.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. This could be from any PC in the library.

For an XP and for a Windows 7 show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. knightnday

TerryNet,
    Fair enough, I guess I deserved that. I'll start with hello neighbor. I've been to Ottawa a few times. I'm from Rockford. So kind of a hop skip and a jump away. I will get that info for you. Unfortunately, I've already left that client for the day and won't be back till next Wednesday. Unless no one at all can connect. Which doesn't seem to be, oddly enough, the case.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I like to have lunch at the Machine Shed once in awhile. In the late 90s I spent many weekends watching (girls) softball tournaments in Rockford, mostly at that large park on the north side. "See" ya next week.

5. knightnday

Ahh yes the machine shed. Great place to go. My personal favorite is Thunder Bay. I'm guess you were at sportscore for the softball games. In reference to ipconfig/all I did use this command. I cant remember if it showed the ip of the DNS server which would probably better answer the question. I did remember seeing that the ip, sub mask and default gateway were correct. It wasn't an apipa address like 167.254...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it doesn't that would indicate, I think, some problem with Untangle. Apparently there used to be some "looseness" in how protocols were implemented and Vista/7 tightened up.

7. knightnday

Terrynet. Sorry about the late reply. I had a million things I had to take care of last Wednesday. I know you asked for the output of ipconfig. I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 on my laptop. So right now I'm running Ubuntu. No problems at all. Connected right into wireless. i ran a ifconfig wlan0 ouput is: wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:a5:39:fc:79
    inet addr:172.16.60.175 Bcast:172.16.60.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::214:a5ff:fe39:fc79/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:9491 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5938 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:12052914 (12.0 MB) TX bytes:696502 (696.5 KB)
    and from resolv.conf:
    Generated by NetworkManager
    domain example.com
    search example.com
    nameserver 172.16.60.1

So as you can see no problems on that end. I did try to connect last week to wireless with Win7. It took about 3 tries to connect. After that it was more or less stable. I'm still getting emails that only patrons who run windows 7 are having issues with connection. Translating from email they are only getting limited connection. Ill boot into win 7 and report what I got.

8. knightnday

Now output from ipconfig /all:
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : example.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-39-FC-79
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::891:c817:8e15:b938%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.60.175(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:05:52 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:05:52 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.60.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.60.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218109093
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-C9-73-7D-00-12-3F-E9-B6-09

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.60.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    When it first connects Ill have an internet connection for about 10 seconds, then it drops. Release/renew connects again, then drops. Ipconfig output is the same. Again. I've tested this so far on XP, Ubunut, and Windows 7. Windows 7 is the only one that gives us trouble.

9. knightnday

This is from event viewer on my win 7 laptop:
    DNS event clients 1014
    Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.example.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

10. knightnday

Ok I can't guarantee this is accurate. And I don't want to jinx myself. I did some research on that error code. Turns out that problem stems from Microsofts ipv6. I disabled it and issue went away.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good going! Disabling IPv6 has "solved" a number of issues with Vista and Windows 7. It's gonna be a real fun time when IPv4 goes away. :(

But, for the record, I doubt that the problem is with Windows as much as it is with adapter drivers and other wireless devices.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice