1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 pc or windows 10 pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theborg, Jun 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

Hi there as everyone knows support for windows 7 ends in Jan as it looks like i will have to get a new w10 laptop but can i ask is it worth upgrading my currant w7 to w10 i have the original product key as i was told its free to upgrade if you have this i have an external 3TB h/d so i can copy all to this cheers and thx

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Assuming your current laptop has official drivers available from the laptop manufacturer, then yes, upgrading to Win10 would be an option. If they don't offer drivers, you may not easily be able to get everything working properly, if at all.

The upgrade is technically no longer free.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, you can switch it to Windows 10 Home.
    If your computer is running Windows 7 Professional SP1, you can switch it to Windows 10 Pro.
    A "clean" install is preferable over an "upgrade" install because it allows your computer to get a fresh start.
    The last time(about 2 months ago) I did a "clean" install of Windows 10 in a working Windows 7 computer, it was still free.
    But you have to go through a specific set of steps to insure it activates.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

thx everyone for your help i will give it some thought cheers

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Before you go to Win 10 make sure you make a backup image of your hard drive in case something goes wrong.

7. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

ok lynx1021 good point thx

8. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

i have a thousand and one questions before i upgrade ok here is one of them is it a good idea to copy 100% of my laptop to my external 3tb first just to be safe thx

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Make an image file of your laptop. This is a copy of the complete drive ie operating system, boot partition, recovery partition, etc, etc. If something goes wrong, it takes all of 5~10min to restore the image and be right back to where you were when the image was made. I use and recommend acronis true image for this task however there are a few free imaging programs available.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It could help if you tell us the laptop's make and full model name.

11. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

ok had a look its a Pavilion dv6 hp windows 7 pro sp1 64 bit hope that helps thx

12. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

It sounds like a lot of hard work and with the price of £119 for w10 i may get a new laptop, copy everything to my external drive and plug it in my new laptop cheers i think it may be to old to update but good news is everything still works i do a in depth scan every week keep it up to date also

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can transfer Data that way but you will have to re-install any 3rd party programs onto the new laptop.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice