1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Photo viewer stretches images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by himadri_sm, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. himadri_sm

himadri_sm Thread Starter

please see the screenshots below..when i open this image in win 7 photo viewer it stretches the image..this also happens with a lot many images..mostly jpeg's..any other software displays them fine.what could be the problem.i have also uploaded the original image.please suggest a solution. thank you.

Win 7 viewer- [​IMG]

Xn View- [​IMG]

Original- [​IMG]

System- ASUS P5KC, Intel Q9300 @2.5 Ghz, 1x 2gb & 1x 1gb DDR2 800Mhz RAM, Seagate 360gb SATA & 80gb IDE Hdd, Samsung DVD RW, ATI HD 4850, PSU: CM Extreme 600, Belkin G Wireless Router, Windows 7 Ultimate.

2. himadri_sm

no solution?:(

3. Hughv

Hughv

That's very interesting. It does the same thing on my Win7 x64 machine. It opens OK in everything but the Win7 photo viewer.
    Even more interesting, when I change the name (I downloaded it as "car.jpg") to "car2.jpg", it displays just fine.
    I am clueless as to the cause.
    Click the 'report" button and ask a mod to move this to the digital photo and imaging forum.

4. himadri_sm

thank you..seems like there's no solution to this problem then...i've also found that converting the image to another format or asa jpeg again solves the issue...strange !!!:confused:

5. moper

moper

Everyone always said that the XResolution and YResolution values don't matter when viewing an image. Maybe Microsoft had a better idea when creating Windows Photo Gallery. That program just might use those values.

It seems your photo was rotated and the XResolution value is missing. (see attachment) Actually invalid data.

Same problem here: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-music-pictures-video/82881-jpg-display-problem.html

moper

Attached Files:

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Replace your Win 7 photo viewer with something that works.
    I've replaced it with Irfanview as my default Viewer and Basic editor ..
    I would have never noticed there was a problem.

You could batch process these Photos in Irfanview .. Setting the W&H dpi ..
    This will fix the photos without changing the picture.
    Looks like the width dpi is missing .. and W7 doesn't know what to do with it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice