1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Power Point Viewer Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Filos35, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Filos35

Filos35 Thread Starter

I have tried to follow the suggestions posted in other threads (including opening Regedit & changing the word "Show" to "Open") but nothing helps it seems. The flle cannot even be saved as I am told it could not be "converted." Instead of being opened in the PPV it is shown as a file to be saved as .ppsm or .ppsx - though as I said it cannot be saved.

So I have to open my notebook with XP which has no trouble opening the PPV.

Windows 7 seems such a mixed blessing......

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

i think you will find that the issue is the version of MS Office and not windows, if you own Office 2003 then try installing it on your 7 machine, just remember for licencing purposes you will need to remove it from your XP install.

3. Filos35

Filos35 Thread Starter

There was no issue of it's being part of MS Office in the previousl threads, nor in the free download at MS. I've never used Office, nor had to have it in XP in order to use the Power Point Viewer.

So is it really necessary to have it in Windows 7? Like I said, it wasn't made an issue in the thread I read here.

4. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

could never get .pps to open with my w7 either, so opted for freeware openoffice.org & it has a powerpoint viewer included. works fine now. there are other options out there, just have to look around microsoft sometimes ...

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you accessing these files from your email, from the internet link or locally on you hard drive?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The operating system is irrelevant. It's not a Windows XP vs Windows 7 problem. There's obviously something installed on the XP computer that isn't installed on the 7 computer. So why don't we try to figure that out and solve the problem?

What's installed on the Windows XP computer with regards to Office or Office viewers? What specific versions? What is the exact file type of the file you're trying to open? What error do you get when you try to open the file? And answer DaveA's question about whether you're opening it from an e-mail client or not as that can also factor into what happens when you try to open the file.

7. Filos35

Filos35 Thread Starter

I access these files from an email client (mostly Yahoo or Hotmail). When I click on the attachment to download & then to "Open" the result is to "Save" to my Documents file as Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2007 Macro-Enabled Show (*.ppsm). When I click on "Save" I am informed "the convertor failed to save the file." As I said, when I then use my notebook which has XP, Powerpoint opens it without any trouble.

I'm thinking of trying OpenOffice which has worked in the past, but I prefer Powerpoint if possible.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Saving a file to a folder wouldn't generate that error. You'd only see that if you're trying to open the file, so something in the steps you're going through isn't translating to the information you're posting. You also haven't provided any details on what is installed on the computers. We can't help if you don't provide requested information.

9. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

just a thought... try reinstalling the latest version of ppv from microsoft, then try saving the file to your desktop then right click & choose program to open, being ms ppv as default. same thing you describe happened with my computer, some .pps or .ppt files will open after being saved, some won't. it is annoying :D

10. Filos35

Filos35 Thread Starter

That's nonsense -I provided what info was requested. There's no "help" here obviously & this is a waste of my time. If you don't have a ready solution then just say so - don't charge me with not providing info. I'll just have to try OpenOffice or otherwise use my notebook with its XP for emails.

I'm outta here! :eek:

11. cybersloth

cybersloth

12. Filos35

Filos35 Thread Starter

I'm back just long enough to say that I installed the latest version of OpenOffice & set it up to open the PowerPoint apps & it seems to work fine.

So end of story as far as I'm concerned & end of this thread.

13. cybersloth

cybersloth

then mark it as solved

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice