1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Pro - HELP?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deletedmember594496, Apr 14, 2010.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deletedmember594496

Deletedmember594496 Guest Thread Starter

I am new to windows 7, so I will provide as much info as I can.

I decided to extend the life of an older pc by adding some ram and putting in a faster CPU. I clean-installed 32-bit windows 7 PRO a couple of days ago. No problems with the install, no problems getting drivers, no problems installing software; everything seemed to be going smoothly.

This morning I booted up the PC (after a normal shutdown last night) to finish moving my personal files and documents to the hard drive. I typed in my password but the system would not accept it. I would use a password reset disk if I had one, but as luck would have it I did not know there was such a thing (remember I've only been working with this OS for a couple of days).

At this point, reinstalling would not be a problem I only I COULD reinstall. First I tried safe mode, but my keyboard will not respond when I get to the windows recovery screen. I tried to boot from CD, but again my keyboard will not respond when I see the message 'press any key to boot from cd.' Personally, I find these last two issues way more troubling than not being able to log on.

I don't know what is wrong or what to try next. Has anyone seen this problem before? Why am I suddenly unable to log into Windows? Does anyone know why my system does not take input from the keyboard when I need it most?

Here is what is under the hood. It's not the latest and greatest, but more than enough for my purposes:
    Gigabyte ga-8i848p-g motherboard
    3gHz P4 cpu
    2 G ram
    120 G Hdd
    USB KB and mouse (BTW I tried a PS2 keyboard and it did not work, either)

Thanks in advance,
    Becky

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm surprised that neither a USB or PS/2 keyboard will work.

Does the keyboard work at the BIOS level? If so, you can try setting the optical drive as the first in the boot order, and see if you can boot directly to the Windows setup interface.

You may need to do a clean install unless it is an out and out hardware problem, which is what it really sounds like.

Typically when I have problems it is only at the Windows level of recognition, and the keyboard works in the BIOS.

Also, if you have not tried actively removing and reseating the USB or PS/2 connector AFTER you encounter the problem -- try that.

This often works for me on an older XP system which has an intermittent keyboard issue like that.

3. Deletedmember594496

Thanks for the quick response.
    The keyboard works fine in BIOS - that is how I changed the boot order!

Anyway, I'm in. How's this for weird: I changed the HDD boot order in the BIOS (yup, same keyboard) to boot from a USB drive. So now the boot order should have been CD, USB, HDD. However, when I restarted, the system did not recognize the USB drive as valid, AND it allowed me to boot from the CD!

I was able to do a system restore, and now my passwprd works, but my antivirus does not. Now I am wondering: my DH used a flash drive to move my bookmarks and email addresses. Maybe there was something nasty on the flash drive that caused the problem. Since I don't have any data to lose I am going to clean install again. This time I will make a password reset disk! Then I will try to figure out how to remove the password altogether. I don't need it.

I am still not happy with the keyboard not working. I need to find out why in case this happens again. Bad BIOS, maybe? The mobo is a few years old, but it is a tough little bugger with a lot of life left in it. All I want to do is keep it going for a few more years.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't explain both the USB or PS/2 keyboard not working -- other than you had some significant driver corruption.

Possibly this was viral, but you might want to do a drive integrity check.

The fact that it worked in the BIOS would seem to rule out an issue there -- but if the CMOS battery has never been replaced and the board is more than 3 years old I would check that.

Both Vista and Win7 are a bit tricky about passwords, you can certainly remove them through the User Accounts settings, but you may have networking issues if you don't have a common password for different installations.

5. Deletedmember594496

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but thanks for the advice. We checked the CMOS battery and it was ok, but I am going to keep searching for an answer to the keyboard question.

I am fairly certain that the source of my troubles was a virus. When I reloaded the OS and tried to reinstall my antivirus program, I was informed that I had too many computers on my account. I checked my account and there was a computer listed on it named "Charlie." I don't have any computers named "Charlie," so I had it removed from the account. I was able to install my antivirus. I haven't had any problems since the reload, and I have checked my A-V account every day to make sure Charlie doesn't try to crash the party again.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Lol, I don't quite understand that unless the AV was registered using the same license for multiple computers, in which case the registration number may be loose on the net somehow.

Was the location of the account given?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice