1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 - Problem in Search (Find) for files/folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by deodatta, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deodatta

deodatta Thread Starter

Hi, when I click start button and enter any file/folder name for search in the space provided at 'Search Programs and files' , no results are displayed. The following error message appears:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

My system configuration is as follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1268 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 368707 MB, Free - 287334 MB; G: Total - 174999 MB, Free - 51405 MB; H: Total - 151588 MB, Free - 144960 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 05TM8C
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. HerFavCereal

HerFavCereal

"Hi, when I click start button and enter any file/folder name for search in the space provided at 'Search Programs and files' , no results are displayed. The following error message appears:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

My system configuration is as follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1268 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 368707 MB, Free - 287334 MB; G: Total - 174999 MB, Free - 51405 MB; H: Total - 151588 MB, Free - 144960 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 05TM8C
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled"

Chances are you don't have permission to open the file. Follow these steps to check this

- Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    - Click the Security tab.
    - Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have
    - Click Edit, and then click to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then click OK

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

Please go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977380

Click on the big green button to download the hotfix.

Accept the agreement and on the next page click on "Show Hotfixes for all programs and languages".

Check the box next to the one for X64 Platform.

FIll in your email and type in the code shown. you will soon receive an email with a direct link to the download, save it to your desktop. Double click on the green icon to run it and follow the prompts.

As a precaution you should make a new restore point before starting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice