1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by becool773, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. becool773

becool773 Thread Starter

Hi Guys

My friend has a Dell Inspiron laptop.Its configuration is i3 processor,2gb ram,320gb hdd and no video card.He only use it to access the internet.The softwares installed are like chrome,media player,MS-Office,KAV etc.Windows 7 Ultimate is installed in it,of the little what he remembers.It was working fine but since the past week it became very very slow.Few minutes ago when we opened chrome,it took like 5-10 minutes in the processing and still it didnt open,then we opened the task manager but it showed not responding.Anyways we turned off the laptop from the power button and when we restarted it using start windows normally,a black screen came.We waited for few minutes then selected start windows in cmd mode.It was loading the system 32 files but it stopped at some driver file and then we again restarted it this time it itself started in startup repairs.It took another 5-10 minutes and then it said if we wanted to restore it to some earlier point we clicked ok,but again its been like 40 minutes but the process hasnt completed.We are thinking to cancel it now.When we restart the laptop below the dell inspiron starting screen there are options of setup and boot and both of them works just fine

How to rectify it?Formatting is not an option since there are some important files on the desktop.He never set a restore point so do you think we should wait here?

Thanx

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did the PC come with windows 7 ultimate - whats the service tag number on a label on the PC and also on a label the CoA Label - whats written on that regarding the windows version - do NOT post the key

toget the data files off you maybe able to use something like ubuntu in a standalone mode and copy the files to a USB drive - if it works , i can post details after you have answered the above questions

3. CLCS

CLCS

+1 for etaf's post, I highly doubt this machine came with windows 7 ultimate, and if its running a hacked version then you really want to rectify this. Most hacked software comes with little presents that infect your pc:eek: That's the whole idea and why these people even take the time to upload and seed the software.

If the software is not genuine then best thing to do is get your important files off the machine and install a good version of windows. An easy to use linux distro that is very small and should be able to read and copy your files to an external drive is puppy linux, it's just as easy as ubuntu and much smaller.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

If you are lucky the recovery partition may be intact and you may be able to restore the computer to factory settings after a file transfer.

4. becool773

becool773 Thread Starter

Thanx for replying.Well the laptop came with a home version of Win 7,last year he took the laptop to the service centre and got Win 7 Ultimate.Is there any chance to save this windows?

Thanx for replying.Its been more than 1 year and this version of Win 7 was working great until about a week ago the laptop became too slow

5. Rockn

Rockn

Run the hard drive diagnostics at boot up.

6. CLCS

CLCS

Since this windows version is legit, lets go about fixing it normally.

A quick hard drive test wouldn't hurt.

If your laptop has a utility partition you should be able to press f8 when starting up and get an option that says repair your/my computer. If there is not then you need your disk.

Do you have the win 7 ultimate disk? First thing would be to boot from it and go to repair my computer, try letting it do it automatically and if that doesn't work run check disk.

7. becool773

becool773 Thread Starter

Thanx for replying

If we run Diagnostics,it completes 100% and then says

Error Code 0146
    Msg:Error Code 2000-0146
    Msg:Hard Drive 0-self test log contains previous error(s) the given error ciode and message can be used by technical support to diagnose the problem
    Do you want to continue testing?

Then we select No

Thanx for replying.We waited for more than 1 hour while it was repairing it so we closed it.No we dont have the Win 7 Ultimate disc with us

8. CLCS

CLCS

Sounds like you need a new hard drive, hard drive recovery can be tricky so I would suggest taking the hard drive to a professional if you need the files. If you are not that worried about losing the files you can attempt to get them of the drive yourself. Let me know how you would like to move on. For now though stop using the drive or you could make things worse.

9. becool773

becool773 Thread Starter

Thanx for replying.No budget for the new hdd.Is the installation from scratch easy?I am thinking to download Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and then install it.Can you please tell me the proper steps and how to burn the .iso to a DVD?If we install it from scratch then can the HDD be saved?How is that the HDD got damaged?

10. CLCS

CLCS

Well the hard drive is bad, so installing from scratch will possible work for a little while but you will end up with the same problem. Yes you can download iso's from My Digital Life, or Digital River and burn it to dvd, its easy if you use a program like Burnaware which is free. But without having a new drive it's just not really a good idea.

To get your files off you need to have an external usb stick or external hard drive and run a linux live cd. If this is beyond your knowledge then I suggest taking it to a professional.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm

11. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512

Check how muck disk space is used in "Computer" (Click it on start menu or desktop) Then if you have a disk defragmentation software open that up and let it do it's work. I believe Windows 7 comes with it's own disk defragmentation software. just type in "defrag into the start menu.

12. becool773

becool773 Thread Starter

Thanx for replying.How is that the HDD is down?I mean he didnt install any malicious software and the laptop never fell or anything.Thanx for that link i will try it in a bit.Can you tell me the steps which are needed to be followed while reinstalling the windows?

Thanx for replying.The thing is that the Windows isnt starting so cant run disk defragmenter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice