Windows 7 Professional No Boot

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I figure I'd ask the collective here before I do something rash that will either work or totally trash the Windows 7 install.

Quick background. I have a custom built desktop I kept in my garage that runs scan tool software from Ease Diagnostics. I hadn't used the desktop in probably over a year and needed to fire it up to run the scan tool software. Upon boot, it got to a screen saying Windows didn't properly shutdown or something to that effect and to either repair or boot normally. I tried going through the repair which ended up in a blank screen and nothing. Attempts at safe booting also yielded a lock up. I have on occasion gotten to the repair screen and then the system would reboot. Also there are times when a BSOD would display or the system would say no boot device. I moved the hard drive to another desktop which was my last gaming setup and managed to get the system stable enough to go through the repair procedure. After doing it from the hard drive and also from the OS install disk, I get a message that the automatic repair process couldn't be completed. So I'm thinking there are two things at play here, an OS corruption and hardware problems with the old desktop.

So I'm wondering if I can reinstall Windows 7 without trashing the settings for the scan tool software, perform an upgrade to Windows 8.1 or 10, or utilize the system restore function. For me doing the system restore is a bit iffy as I don't remember if the last restore point was before or after I had installed the scan tool software.

And if you're wondering why I don't just reinstall the scan tool software, the company was bought out by another company and was shut down a couple of years ago. Any re-installation of the software requires an activation key which I can no longer get with the company shut down.

A thought just came to me that I should just clone the drive to another hard drive so I can do the above options without permanently screwing myself. I also don't know if I move the install to the newer desktop and cause some change to the OS if the program may not even launch. I seem to recall that the activation key is generated from some code the software generates which is based off of the hardware (MAC address of the NIC maybe or other things).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online