1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Professional & Printer Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NewITGuy1, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewITGuy1

NewITGuy1 Thread Starter

I have a new Windows 7 Professional 32 bit computer that the printers are not pushing out to. We have a Windows Server 2003 R2 server with print management that deploys printers to all the work stations. The new Windows 7 Professional computer will not always get the printers. When first set up and signed on as a administrator the printers deployed. The users then did not get the printers and cannot add a printer manually. When signed back on as an administrator I found that the printers that originally deployed had disappeared. Whenever trying to add a printer manually I get a message saying the printer services are not started and that it needs to be restarted. When I go into services I find that the print services is started/running, so I'll restart it, reboot the computer and usually find that the printers deployed again for the administrator. The first time I did this the printers then deploy for users, but not all the printers (some are missing) in all cases. A short time later, maybe a day or 2 the printers will disappear again, getting the same messages if you try adding a printer manually and finding the print services still running/started. Not every time I do the restart of print services and rebooting the computer will resolve the issue though. Sometimes that has to be done a couple of times for it to work but still will only resolve the issue for a short time and the printers will disappear again. Print services is set for automatic. There are 2 other Windows 7 Professional computers on the same network that do not have this issue. Anybody have any possible resolutions of know of any security settings in 7 that may cause this? Thanks for the help!!

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Print Spooler is such a pain in the ***. I cannot wait for technology to improve when it comes to printers. Working in IT for a large company, printers and their drivers are about 40% of our problems.

Try this first:
    - Stop the Print Spool service.
    - Head to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS
    - Delete anything in this folder.
    - Restart print spooler.
    - Check Printers

If still an issue:
    - Head to Admin Tools in the CP.
    - Go to Print Management
    - Drop Down Print Servers > (Your Server) > Drivers
    - Delete any Drivers listed that are actually drivers, do not delete others (eg: Microsoft XPS Document Writer)
    - Click on the Printers now and delete any actual printers listed.
    - Reboot the PC.
    - Login make take a bit this time but see if the printers appear.
    NOTE: Printers/Drivers might give you an error trying to delete it saying it is in use, if so, follow the below steps:

If all of this STILL does NOT work, do:

1. Stop the Print Spooler
    2. Locate the Following Paths and Follow the Directions per Path:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers
    - Delete any servers listed

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers
    - Delete any actual Printers listed, nothing else (eg: Adobe PDF, OneNote).

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\WindowsNT\Drivers\Version-3
    NOTE: \WindowsNT\ path is determinent on x86 or x64
    - Delete any actual Printers listed, nothing else (eg: Adobe PDF, OneNote).

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\Win32x86
    NOTE: Change the \Win32x86 to \x64 for 64-bit Windows.
    - Create a backup copy of that folder
    - Delete everything inside of the folder that you have copied.
    - Sometimes you might have to manually go in and delete files. Try to delete as much as possible.

3. Start the Print Spooler.
    4. Reboot the PC
    5. Print a Test Page to Verify Functionality

NOTE: If you're running a Canon printer, in the 6000 series, they recently released a bad driver.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice