1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 RAID 1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FrankSinatra, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrankSinatra

FrankSinatra Thread Starter

If you run RAID 1 (redundant) in windows on a pair of externals, would it be possible to regularly disconnect adn reconnect a drive?

I'm thinking on using a paid of 1tb's I have in RAID 1, and connecting the second drive every other week or something, so I can store it in another room in case my desk breaks or whatever.

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I wouldn't. Most of the cheap on-board RAID controllers don't work well, and have a very low level of reliability. Any problems with either drive or the RAID software are likely to result in a "degraded array" error, and many cheap controllers can't rebuild the array if this happens. In practice this is likely to mean that you have two drives with corrupted data. All you're doing is over complicating a simple goal: preserving data integrity. Your best strategy is to perform frequent back ups, both full system and data only, and forget about the RAID. In every case over the last year or so where I have had a customer using a cut rate RAID controller, recovering the data and rebuilding the system has been far more expensive than simply restoring a recent backup.

3. FrankSinatra

This is the software RAID in disk management in Windows 7 - I guess it come down to whether or not it will rebuild. I guess I can try it out and see what happens.

4. FrankSinatra

I'm also saying that I would back the files up to a paid of externals in RAID1, based off of disk management (not a controller) in Win7.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I understand all that, and my advice is unchanged. Use those external drives for alternate backups, one at a time, and don't plan on RAID keeping you safe. Software RAID in Windows and cheap RAID controllers basically aren't any different. They won't work as well as you expect.

6. FrankSinatra

Alright sounds good. I like Windows backup, it runs quite seamlessly and I've used it to restore several times, however you cannot backup to multiple drives. The only route is to cloning the drives with a hardware cloner. I don't really want to buy into third party backups that integrate themselves with Windows. Maybe I'm being phobic, but backups are important and Windows works real well, no reason to replace something that isn't broken.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice