1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 resolution

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cslayer79, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cslayer79

cslayer79 Thread Starter

Jan 17, 2010
    I just instaled w7 on my dell optiplex 170L. It instaled fine I guess. Only problem is when I go to the resolution adjustment page it wont change. Everything is still big on the screen. The icon spot where you change stays grey and wont open to change. Processor is enough and ram is high enough. Why cant I change it so I can see the screen normal and not big as hell? Since this is my first problem, i will be on here waiting for responces, so I can respond quickly. Thank you.
  2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Jan 23, 2003
    Did you do an upgrade to Win 7 or a Clean install? If a clean install go to the dell support site and make sure you have the proper video driver installed.
  3. Compiler

Oct 11, 2006
    The Dell optiplex 170L is a 6 year old computer designed for office use. It has very old intel graphics which is most likely NOT Windows7 compatible and is typical of computers made before Vista.

It would be best that the computer remain as XP for performance reasons, but Win7 will run.

You'll need to purchase a PCI DX 9 or DX 10 video card.

These will work:
    DX 10: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

You're looking at $40~50 for a new video card.
  4. ChuckE

Aug 30, 2004
    Are you using an Administrator desktop?
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905149