1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 seagate barracuda 1.5tb hd problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by adamwilliams, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adamwilliams

adamwilliams Thread Starter

hi all, just put together a new pc and i am having unbelivable amount of problems with it. I have previously had 3 sata hds (40gb, 500gb and 1500gb) the smallest of which was running windows 7. that has been wiped an reinstalled. however I am now having a problem with the larger one first it wasnt showing up in device manager, then it was, then it was working fine with all the partitions showing, then it just stopped, it still shows up in the disk management but i cant mount them or the like. and it also shows as having a capacity of 3046GB which in reality it doesnt. so I thought ok, maybe 7 is having a problem with it, so I'll unplug other hds and install 7 on it see if that works....... It didn't. It is saying from the install disk that it only has one partition of 2048GB and that is OEM reserved and I can't install onto it, the option is there to format the disk, but I really really dont want to, seeing as it is the largest disk i own and has pretty much all my data on. Having spent a lot of money on my new setup is it too much to ask for it just to work?
    any assistance would be very much appriciated.

Adam

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Welcome to TSG!

I'd check for a BIOS update on your motherboard. I do know there was a problem with Win7 seeing HD larger than 1tb and after a BIOS firmware update, it fixed the problem. Have you entered Setup and seen how your BIOS reports your drives?

3. adamwilliams

i dont think i;d know what i was looking for in there to be honest all i know is how to change system time and boot order, after that not much else, could you give a guide on how to update the bios

4. adamwilliams

motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ma74gm-s2h

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice