1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 shares / permissions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by candysandra87, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. candysandra87

candysandra87 Thread Starter

I have a bunch of people on my network, and some shared folders.
    I want to prevent certain users from making changes to the folders, but I want to be able to make changes from wireless connection.
    So, how can I make it so I can make changes wirelessly but others cannot?
    Basically right now, my permissions are set for
    Everyone read/write
    Guest read/write
    But when I try to add a "network path to share with" like specific stations IE;
    \\Computername\Windowsname
    It doesn't work.
    Can anyone advise on how I can prevent certain wireless users from modifying shared directories while granting others the ability? Specifically, certain wireless stations?
    Any additional information would be invaluable.
    -Sandra

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows doesn't differentiate security and permissions based on connection type, so you can't prevent access via a wireless network connection. Is the network a domain or a workgroup? Are the "bunch of people" using different computers or different accounts on that one computer?

3. candysandra87

candysandra87 Thread Starter

there are about 6 different laptops / pcs on a wireless network.

I wasn't trying to differentiate between "connection type" but moreso "wireless station"

any suggestions?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice