1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Shutdown Before Closing Programs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rlross52, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rlross52

rlross52 Thread Starter

Shortly after installing Win 7 Ult 64-bit I followed a registry hack from Maximum PC (?) to prevent Win from hanging on shutdown due to non-responsive apps. Unfortunately I cannot find this modification to undo it.
    The problem is that the OS shuts down too quickly--a split-second message that a program is still open too quick to read before Win shuts down. Not absolutely sure, but I suspect that a premature shutdown of a program or process that is not necessarily hanging can cause OS or program/process corruption.
    All things considered, I'd rather deal with a manual forced shutdown than, e.g., a premature shutdown when all programs or processes have not yet fully loaded. If anyone knows how to undo this "hack" it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your help.

2. petan

petan

open regedit
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    there are timeouts

3. rlross52

rlross52 Thread Starter

petan
    Thanks for the extremely rapid reply.
    Did that: changed the value from 10000 (10 secs?) to 50000, but not sure at this point if it helped: certainly IF this translates to 10 secs. (pre-modification), this isn't what I've experienced: > 1 sec. for message. P128 SSD, Intel 1156 i7-860 & 8GB 1600 RAM--all sorts of messages fly by too quickly to read. I'll update when I have more time to see if the issue is resolved.
    Thanks again.

4. antech

antech Banned

Reveal the hack and the changes that you made to your pc.
    Post a link to the page.

5. rlross52

rlross52 Thread Starter

antech
    Therein lies the problem--if I remembered the hack it wouldn't take much to undo it: of course in retrospect it would have been prudent to keep a record. I found an article in Max PC involving changing the value for "WaitToKillAppTimeout" where I changed the value from 10000 to 50000 (only now), but a suggestion to do the same for "HungAppTimeout" doesn't appear to be a key used in Win 7 (searching the whole registry using Reg Organizer). I also don't recall if the hack involved changing a value or adding a new key--all I know is whatever causes a mini-sec shutdown doesn't discriminate between hung apps & legitimate, orderly shutdowns of programs or processes that should not be terminated prematurely.

6. antech

antech Banned

Do you exactly know what have you changed?
    Do you have a link to the hack?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

antech, at least try to read before you post. The poster does not remember what was changed or where to find the link for the hack. If they knew that, they wouldn't be posting here.

Your constant badgering is annoying. Cut it out.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I think the one you need to check is AutoEndTasks, it should be set to 0. In Windows 2000, if not present it should default to 0. It may default to 1 in Win 7, so if that entry is missing, try adding it with a value of 0.
    Technet descriptions:
    AutoEndTasks
    HungAppTimeout
    WaitToKillAppTimeout

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice